Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

First poster here. I have a '85 TRX 250 and I just replaced the main fuse. While I had the thing apart I decided to do an electrical checkup. The battery is toast - it has long since lost its charging capacity. Also to my surprise the engine generator only put out between 3 and 6 volts depending on RPM! That can't be enough to charge a 12 (14.2) volt battery, right?

It doesn't stop there. When the thing is running (kick start), the dash lights are very dim at idle. Not surprising given the generator output. But when I turn on the headlight (or the auxiliary lights I installed), the dash lights get 3x brighter! Wouldn't the increased current draw pull power and make the dash lights DIMMER?

I'm about to replace the battery and get my electric start going again, but I can't explain the above two problems. Do I need a new generator, or is that the intended output? Also what is going on with my dash lights, is that a problem? :confused:

Help appreciated, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,997 Posts
SO MANY QUESTIONS AND SO LITTLE INFORMATION

First - you cannot accurately check the output of the charging system unless you have a good battery. I was instructed that the charging system is not so much designed to charge as it is designed to maintain a charge. You can damage the charging system by running without a battery.

The vehicle has a 3 phase alternator - typical AC output with no load is 25 to 35 volts

As to the dash lights getting brighter when you turn those aux. lights - depending on how you wired those lights, you might be improving the ground to the dash lights with the aux. lights on.

Yeah, replace the battery (with the correct one - a TX12-BS) and start troubleshooting from there

1 - 2 of 2 Posts