Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 TRX 250 and it has no spark! I have replaced CDI coil and spark plug. I took off the Left Hand side cover and oil came out. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
I have a 85 TRX 250 and it has no spark! I have replaced CDI coil and spark plug. I took off the Left Hand side cover and oil came out. Thanks in advance
Well having oil come out is a good thing - motor will lock up without it.

First step to getting spark; Do you have 12v on the blk/wht wire at the CDI box?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well having oil come out is a good thing - motor will lock up without it.

First step to getting spark; Do you have 12v on the blk/wht wire at the CDI box?
The oil is coming out if the left hand cover that has the stator and the pickup coils is that normal?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
It is normal - the alternator and ignition pulse coil run in engine oil to aid cooling the stator windings.

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Where would the green ground be at?
Good question - I suppose it will be somewhere on the frame - the service manuals are not that specific, they expect you to use your or someone else's eyes to see where they are attached - many times they ground at the coil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good question - I suppose it will be somewhere on the frame - the service manuals are not that specific, they expect you to use your or someone else's eyes to see where they are attached - many times they ground at the coil.
Do you know what coil

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
Curious - where did you get a CDI unit since they are no longer available from Honda? How do you know the old CDI was bad?

Check the CDI charge coil for continuity and peak voltage - resistance should be 50-200 ohms if it is a Nippon Denso ignition or 250-400 if it is a Mitsuba ignition (you can tell by checking the CDI unit (it will have an ND or Mitsuba marking) - peak voltage is usually about 45 volts (checked on the DC scale of a peak voltage meter).

If that's all good then the CDI unit is at fault - make sure the CDI box you got is an AC and not a DC unit. Who ever sold it to you will know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Curious - where did you get a CDI unit since they are no longer available from Honda? How do you know the old CDI was bad?

Check the CDI charge coil for continuity and peak voltage - resistance should be 50-200 ohms if it is a Nippon Denso ignition or 250-400 if it is a Mitsuba ignition (you can tell by checking the CDI unit (it will have an ND or Mitsuba marking) - peak voltage is usually about 45 volts (checked on the DC scale of a peak voltage meter).

If that's all good then the CDI unit is at fault - make sure the CDI box you got is an AC and not a DC unit. Who ever sold it to you will know.
this was the cdi
was the coil

I just tried to replace the main stuff first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I am most likely going to put the coil and cdi back on since they are the original ones

1 - 20 of 26 Posts