Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all just picked up a 86 trx 250r and it runs like a bat otta hell when it wants to I believe I am having ignition problems because it died once today i had a friend kicking it over while i checked spark and there wasnt any. Then i found the black/yellow wire to the coil had an opend spot in it so i fixed that put a new plug boot on the coil lead and first kick fired right up but it is still missing spuraticly sometimes it has a hesitation sometimes it is very responsive idk what to do with it gotta check all the ohm specs and stuff but idk what they should be and what wires to check if anyone has a link of some info they can share with me so i can do all the proper electrical checks it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
try putting in a new coil

Reactions: hillbilly_hayes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you but I am not going to just replace the coil on a hunch thats why I was asking if anyone had or new the ohm specs for the coil so i could test it out. I wanna figure out the problem before replacing parts it can get mighty costly just changing parts on a whym. Thanks for the replies thogh

·
Registered
19 Posts
^^^^ I agree ^^^^ if you could find the factory specs I would start with adjusting the carb. Tuning it up in such a sense. Check to see if it fouls plugs afterwards. Could be something major or as simple as a tune up. Good luck to you buddy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again all. Just got back in from garage ohmed everything out. All was good except the spark plug wire. Changed it out with a 8.5mm wire for a car i had in the garage started up first kick and took her for a short test ride everything seems to be good will have to try again when it isnt rain/snow/sleeting and a lil warmer out.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, I have all the ohm data for your machine, but now you have my couriousity.

Since the spark plug wire is an integral part of the coil, how did you determine it was bad without the coil being bad?

There are only two ohm tests for the coil: (all tests done at 68 degrees) primary resistance - .1 to .3 ohms. Scondary resistance - 3k to 5k ohms without the plug cap and 7k to 11k ohms with the plug cap attached. Also, the wire from the coil to the spark plug cap is metal wire. I presume you replaced it with carbon resistance wire?

Without seing the machine, I would guess that if the plug wire was removable from the coil it had the incorrect coil installed when you got it and if you installed carbon resistance wire it is likely that it will ultimately cause damage to other components of the ignition system (like the CDI unit or the stator).

I would like to hear more on this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks for the reply i didnt know about the carbon and metal resistan wire making a difference and i am not so sure it will. The reason I figured the wire was bad is the ohms did not check out and the old plug wire was really brittle and cracked in a spot so i pulled it out and it was glued in the coil so i heated a pick and cleaned out the coil because of the glue and outer casing from the old plug wire. I got the new wire to go in very nice and securly and ohmed everything out once again and it was spot on. Thats were I raise an eyebrow as to why it would damage anything else if it fall right into the the factory specs with the new wire and ngk cap installed it ohmed out at 9.27k ohms and primary was .2 ohms. If you still think this could cause damage to my machine please do explain.

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Wow thanks for the reply i didnt know about the carbon and metal resistan wire making a difference and i am not so sure it will. The reason I figured the wire was bad is the ohms did not check out and the old plug wire was really brittle and cracked in a spot so i pulled it out and it was glued in the coil so i heated a pick and cleaned out the coil because of the glue and outer casing from the old plug wire. I got the new wire to go in very nice and securly and ohmed everything out once again and it was spot on. Thats were I raise an eyebrow as to why it would damage anything else if it fall right into the the factory specs with the new wire and ngk cap installed it ohmed out at 9.27k ohms and primary was .2 ohms. If you still think this could cause damage to my machine please do explain.
The cap itself has 5k ohm resistance. Adding resistance with automotive carbon resistance lead will delay the timing and give you a bit hotter spark, but might also cause another component of the ignition system to fail. Take a chance, leave it and let us know what the long term result is. I doubt if others might the same LUCK if they try to pull the embedded wire out of the coil, but if it is possible, it should be replaced with a wire lead. The resistance cap needs to be screwed into the lead and it needs the wire for a secure attachment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts