Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm trying to revive a friends trx 250. I changed the oil, new air filter, cleaned out carb and replaced o rings and cleaned the tank so far. Figure I'll do more once I know it can run.

I turned the key on and i'm not getting any spark when I place a new plug in the boot and hold it to the head and kick it over. Where's the battery ha!
Where do think I should start to chase the problem. I figured from the key on down.

Also I have a new plug to install but out of the 6 spark plug sockets I have none of them fit! What can I to use on the cheap? I have a lowes nearby and a advanced auto.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
You have a rare machine there - the first year for the TRX250X was 1987.

There is no battery - the ignition is self excited. You will need an 18mm socket to remove the spark plug. The ignition switch and the handlebar kill switch simply connect the green (ground) wire to the black/white (CDI kill) wire. First, check the ground connection (green wire from the stator to the frame connection. Next, just unplug the B/W wire coming out of the CDI unit where it plugs into the wiring harness. If still no spark, then check the continuity of the coil, pulse generator and the stator. Check the stator by measuring the resistance from the black/red wire to ground. This should get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Disconnect the Green/Blue and the Green wire down by the shifter and see if you get spark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.