Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 Trx 350 all time 4x4, best machine I've ever owned! I have replaced the fuel pump and it too a dump. I've been looking for a better one anyone have recommendations? Also the last time this guy fired up it would run a bit and loose spark it seemed. I know the battery is old could this be the root of my problem even when jumped?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,642 Posts
The FOURTRAX has a self excited AC CDI - it will run without a battery and you kill the engine by grounding the black wire with the white stripe

Intermittent ignition is usually caused by a bad connection between the stator and the CDI box, a bdd connection between the CDI box and the coil or a short in the kill wire - it could be a bad stator, pulse generator or coil, but coils don't go bad very often - the other parts fail more frequently and if the CDI box fails you usually lose spark altogether.

I've only seen one intermittent electronic ignition caused by the "black box" - it was on a Kawasaki ZX1000 and is was an IGNITION CONTROL MODULE, not a CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE IGNITION

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The FOURTRAX has a self excited AC CDI - it will run without a battery and you kill the engine by grounding the black wire with the white stripe

Intermittent ignition is usually caused by a bad connection between the stator and the CDI box, a bdd connection between the CDI box and the coil or a short in the kill wire - it could be a bad stator, pulse generator or coil, but coils don't go bad very often - the other parts fail more frequently and if the CDI box fails you usually lose spark altogether.

I've only seen one intermittent electronic ignition caused by the "black box" - it was on a Kawasaki ZX1000 and is was an IGNITION CONTROL MODULE, not a CAPACITIVE DISCHARGE IGNITION
Ok, the coil is brand new. I pulled the plug and checked for spark. It sparked but it wouldn't keep it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.