Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86' TRX250 and my headlight and tail lights do not work? I have a new (charged) battery, the three bulbs are good. I also checked the the main buss fuses and they are good. I checked (unplugged and replugged) the connectors, and they all appear to be ok (original - no splices).

The neutral, reverse, and oil lights on the dash all work fine.

Am I possibly missing a fuse somewhere - i didn't see another one on the wiring diagram? Could the switch on the handlebars be corroded? How and where should I test to make sure the wiring and/or switches are good (and, errr, bad?)? (details please - I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous). If i disconnect the headlight harness from the mounts, how do I hook up a tester light, ground, etc. to test to see if the on/off switch and hi/low work?

Lastly, what the heck is the DC plug for? What the heck plugs into that funky receptacle?

Please help!!

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
The DC plug is for accessories - kinda like a power outlet in a car can be used for a GPS.

It sounds to me like you either have a bad switch or a broken ground wire. Download a service manual at Tradebit.com and get a multimeter or a test light and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'll (try) to check the switch and trace the ground. I just need to figure out how/where to use the multimeter. I've used one for testing outlets and batteries, but not for a "plug" like this. No idea how to test the ground? Help?

I'm assuming that the switch/lights would get power from turning on the ignition (eg doea not need to be running?). So where I place the electrodes is key. I'm guessing I will. Wes to be sownstream from the switch first, to make sure there is power to the switch. If there is, I would test next where the headlamp plugs into the harness - to see if the switch is opening/closing the circuit?

Regarding the DC recepticle, I've never seen any accessories that have a plug that would fit this particular attachment. Maybe they make them in Japan!

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Most Hondas use this arrangement - the positive wire from the battery (red) goes to the key switch. When the switch is "on" the black wire becomes the positive wire. The green wire is the negative wire. Test for a bad ground by attaching a wire to the negative terminal of the battery and touch it to the housing of the lights in question. If the ground is bad, touching the housing will make the light work. If the light does not work, use a test light - connect one lead of the light to the negative side of the battery ans touch the other to various points to see where the power is lost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.