Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, Starting a 1988 trx250x rebuild. Aquired bike and immediately had a trans and case detonation. Still ran very well but with smoke and moved in 1st gear afterwards.

Used 1992 250x cases and trans in the mail.
Ordering the parts for the rebuild.

But having trouble locating a timing chain set with both guides included. Or both guides at all. Are 300ex guides the same? And left side magneto covers?

I am disassembling the original engine now, as new/used '92 cases will be here in a couple days.
Also, since I am starting from bare cases. Any secrets of this trans, such as nice gear swaps or fork swaps or things to pay special attention to?
I intend to keep the bike, so any suggestions will be appreciated.
On a personal note, I find the nice crisp click of a shifter very satisfying!
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Many TRX 250Xand 300X parts are the same
Parts with HC0 code are 250X
Parts with HC4 code are 300X
Most 88 to 09 250 and 300 parts are interchangable

Use:
14511-HC4-005 cam chain tensioner
14620-HC4-005 cam chain guide
14401-HC0-003 cam chain

You will need alternator cover 11341-HC0-000 or 11341-HC0-010 for the 250 - 300 is different - look on Ebay and salvage yards

All that RTV would have been my first clue to walk away

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the numbers, my search will continue with them.
This bike is a project I happily do inside, awaiting summer. I travel for a living, so I have sometimes a month at home in one stint, with nothing to do. It is not a burden to me, it will pass the time. In the end, I get a decent little quad.
Despite its looks, swingarm bearings, axle carrier are new already, just 2 hours before the grenade in the case. I already have 2 new lower A frames, upper bushing and bearings/seals for steering stem, front wheel bearings, new rear caliper. Engine gasket and seal kit, blah, blah... Too much to throw away or sell.
Besides, the world could use another Honda!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have noticed some cylinders have a hose barb near the tensioner, some don't. What is this feature for?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Located that premium tensioner. Thanks for the part numbers! Ouch, for one item, that hurts! Lol. Managed to clean the chassis up. Now I will start on it, while waiting for the other engine cases.
Anybody know what the rubber plugs are called in the carrier bearing housing? Mine seem to be replaced by cut o-rings. Also any upper balljoint replacements known?
I will throw up some more pics...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am also repairing an older model Linhai Big Horn 260cc 2x4 to running condition. Wife likes the cushy front struts, automatic and single balanced brake. It is mine, but has sit after running out of gas for 3 years. Time to go apologize...

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
I have noticed some cylinders have a hose barb near the tensioner, some don't. What is this feature for?
There is no hose barb near the tensioners on any cylinders from Honda that I am aware of - where are you seeing these cylinders?

Anybody know what the rubber plugs are called in the carrier bearing housing? Mine seem to be replaced by cut o-rings.
You mean the seals #16? SEAL, BEARING HOLDER 52202-HB5-000 or the o-rings #30 91353-HA2-003

Also any upper ball joint replacements known?
Which style do you have #7 (one piece A-arm) or #4

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am also repairing an older model Linhai Big Horn 260cc 2x4 to running condition. Wife likes the cushy front struts, automatic and single balanced brake. It is mine, but has sit after running out of gas for 3 years. Time to go apologize...

The Clauss Studios item is a reproduction stem bushing. Whoo-hoo!
GOPR0081_1615485540117.JPG
GOPR0083_1615485540117.JPG
GOPR0084_1615485540117.JPG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small chip in bottom. Looks like screwdriver damage. No cracks, and from a visual inspection, it appears to be ok. Someone had some type of window sealer ribbon rolled up and stuck in front of the sprocket, but there is no damage under it. Guess it worked!
About this chip... suggestions?
GOPR0073_1615485540117.JPG

1 - 20 of 101 Posts