Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I give... what's the secret for removing the little wire clips from each side of the spherical bearing in the A-frames? I can't manage to pick them up, I can only spin them in the slots. Should I cut into the mount across enough to cut the wire into 3 pieces? It would be ruff cutting through that bearing...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have the steering stem bearing and seals out, no problem. Wheel bearings and seals out, no problem. Rotors off the hub, no problem. What's left is spherical bearings in the A-Frames and I haven't played with the swing arm mount bearings, yet.
Anyone know the secret to the little wire c clips on either side of the spherical bearing in the control arms.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I suppose I will start messing with the swingarm/axle combo, tomorrow. I am trying to get everything broken down for stripping and repainting. Can't wait to get started putting this thing back together.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
I give... what's the secret for removing the little wire clips from each side of the spherical bearing in the A-frames? I can't manage to pick them up, I can only spin them in the slots. Should I cut into the mount across enough to cut the wire into 3 pieces? It would be ruff cutting through that bearing...
Here's the tools I use - I push inward and under the wire clip with either the pick or small screwdriver to lift the clip out of the groove - once lifted I use either the pick, screwdriver or pliers to pry outward or grip and pull out - I do not try to save the clips - I bend them, twist them or whatever is required to remove them and install new ones when assembling, but pushing them in to get them out of the groove seems to be the easiest method.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Ran across another trx250x 1987. Disassembled, with a cracked piston. Offered $300 to take it in boxes, got told I'm funny, countered with $600.
Why do people think their junk is worth so much? Disrespectful too!
I can't respond.
I grew up literally raising sugar cane. At 5 yrs old, my job was to stand on the 8n clutch, while the trailer was being loaded. Drive back, unload, top the cane, back to the field, stand on the clutch for 10 mins.
After 2 days, we made molasses outside. If you have never panned molasses, get your burn cream...
One of my worst whippings, was for letting the trailer wheel hang a tree.
I say this because, I have built a way in life different than my family. Now I remodel big box stores.
After all of this... I would never give $600 for anything to any disrespectful person.
Had to vent.... Even Hannibal chose to eat the rude!

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
I would counter offer back with this insult: "Thank you for the generous offer to pay me $600 to remove your junk, but I will accept no more than $300 to haul it off and would be willing to reduce the offer to $100 in response to your generosity."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Here's the tools I use - I push inward and under the wire clip with either the pick or small screwdriver to lift the clip out of the groove - once lifted I use either the pick, screwdriver or pliers to pry outward or grip and pull out - I do not try to save the clips - I bend them, twist them or whatever is required to remove them and install new ones when assembling, but pushing them in to get them out of the groove seems to be the easiest method.
View attachment 4614
Alright, thanks for the tip. I will try it a little later. I'm pretty sure you got those tools out of my Radio controlled cabinet. Lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Got all those A-frames bare. The clip situation seemed to work for me, if I took the sharp pick and barely bumped it with a hammer. This did get me under it. As soon as it lifted, my brother in law would fly in there like a looney toons tazmanian devil and tear out the clips. It was like those clips took his stimulus check...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Looking through online manual downloads, they are separated in 87-88 and 91-92. What's the difference?

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Honda suspended production for 89 and 90 because they had thousands of unsold units left over - so they warehoused them for one year and then changed to color scheme and re-released them as 91 models - there was no changes to the engine, frame or anything else except the color scheme. 87 was available in grey or red with a silver frame, 88 was white or red with a red frame, 91 was blue, white or red with a red frame, 92 was blue or white with a grey frame at the end of the 92 production year, they were discontinued from the lineup due to 'lack luster' sales.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I suppose you are correct. It makes sense that both halves would be one single part number, if otherwise.

Exactly what I was hoping! About re-mating the cases. No no, I'm not willing to argue... That means, I can use 3 engines to get all the undamaged castings to assemble one dang motor.
That little alternator cover... I was lucky enough to find one! Stoked!

When I started this, I did not realize parts had become so scarce in my area. Well, good parts anyway. Seems most of this stuff just fell victim to clumsy hands or the weather.

I will try to get some more pics up. Not much to photo. Tearing down and sorting 3 engines looks the exact same in photos. Lol. The bolt trays say #1, #2, #3, and that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Not all engines are created equal, but in this case all the parts are interchangeable - when to comes to the 400EX, the cases are interchangable 99-04 while 05-12 were a different family, but the crankshafts were interchangeable 99-12 - now the heads and cylinders are interchangeable not only with 99-12 TRX400EX, but also with 96-00 XR400R motorcycles.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts