Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of putting a hole in my pants after riding for 30 minutes and looking for an exhaust heat shield for my 1991 Honda TRX250X. Any one on here have something that would work. Any advice leading me in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATV came with no heat shield on the exhaust. No tellin what happened to in the last 30 years. Got the OEM heat shield ordered from honda for $40. I appreciate ya help! Strange how Honda is selling the OEM heat shields for a 30 year old atv but not the gas caps.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Did you order the special insulating washers to mount it? If not, it will get almost as hot as the pipe - need 4 insulating washers, 2 flat washers and the two bolts - the bolts are not special, but they are very short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I called the Honda dealership back and told him what I needed (the 4 insulating washers, 2 flat washers and 2 bolts) he said regular washers will work? He said he'd call back to see if they have the hardware. I am guessing I need the insulating washers...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honda dealership discontinued the hardware to mount it. Thats something that they would sell me the part and discontinue to mounting hardware. I found the bolts and washers online. Not sure how to find the 4 insulated washers.. thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Since the correct hardware is discontinued you have to improvise.

You need:
4) insulating washer part number 18293-MCA-780 (available from Honda @ $4.15 ea)
2) collared washers part number 90554-GC3-000 (part 13 in the drawing and available from Honda @ $1.85 ea
Get two 6x15 phillips pan head screws or flanged hex head bolts (common hardware) and two 6 mm flat washers
Assemble by putting a flat washer on the screw followed by an insulating washer, put the screw through the collared washer and insert the collared washer in the mounting hole of the heat shield - note that the collared washer will need a spacer washer installed on it to take up the space the discontinued insulating washer (#12 in the drawing) - you might use a larger flat washer (8 mm, 5/16, 10 mm, 3/8 or whatever to make it so the collared part of the washer does not extend above the larger washer) place another insulating washer on the bolt and screw it to the mount welded to the head pipe and tighten to 6 foot pounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts