Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Trx420fe es
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 trx300 2x4 and I have both side cases off right now. I put new sift spring on and now it will not shift. It was working perfectly fine until I replaced the shift shaft and spring also replaced the screw/nut that hold the star in place. Had a little trouble getting the ratchet pawl back together but got it on there. But now it’s like it’s stuck and won’t move up or down. Please help. Took pictures of what I have and will take more pics as needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Trx420fe es
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so worked on it some more and got it to shift now my problem is it won’t return still after shifting. It either stays down or up no matter what I do. To me it’s like when I go to tighten the 2 bolts that holds the ratchet paws on it pulls the star in way to much and binds up but if I barely tighten them it shifts fine. What could be bad to make it do that and also the shift lever not wanting to return. I will try to make a video

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Trx420fe es
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so worked on it some more and got it to shift now my problem is it won’t return still after shifting. It either stays down or up no matter what I do. To me it’s like when I go to tighten the 2 bolts that holds the ratchet paws on it pulls the star in way to much and binds up but if I barely tighten them it shifts fine. What could be bad to make it do that and also the shift lever not wanting to return. I will try to make a video
Also just noticed the star and bearing behind it moves in and out. If I tighten it bounds up and won’t shift if I leave it loose and make sure to pull out on the shift star it shifts fine. I don’t think it’s supposed to move I wouldn’t think but any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2008 Trx420fe es
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup everything is together correct. I found the problem I guess the po broke the shift shaft bolt off and I did not know until I noticed a bolt in the picture and not on the case so I got lucky and drilled two little holes in it and it screwed right out and I had a new extra bolt laying around and put it in and now works perfectly. Waiting on gaskets and a new triangle with the rollers on the right side so I can put everything back together. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
2008 Trx420fe es
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup everything is together correct. I found the problem I guess the po broke the shift shaft bolt off and I did not know until I noticed a bolt in the picture and not on the case so I got lucky and drilled two little holes in it and it screwed right out and I had a new extra bolt laying around and put it in and now works perfectly. Waiting on gaskets and a new triangle with the rollers on the right side so I can put everything back together. Thanks for your reply.
Also found why the bearing was moving there are 2 bearing holders and one was laying in the oil in the bottom of the case. I found it when I started cleaning it lol. Now all is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts