Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
That might the problem, but not because it's worn out - it just takes a nub to position the star to the drum - if you could line them up and tighten the center bolt without the parts getting out of line, you wouldn't need the pin - work on getting the two parts together with the pin in the notch, remove the shift lock, rotate the drum as far clockwise as it will go (I am not sure if that will be high or low gear) and you can tighten the bolt using a torque wrench - if things are lined up right, you will be able to rotate the drum counterclockwise with a pair of snap ring pliers inside the star - when it is turning freely, then assemble the shifter flapper and install the shift shaft.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Manual says tighten securely but did not know if it has a torque spec
Sorry - I had to quit early last night and just got back on line - I don't and won't have a smart phone.

Yes, the shift lock is the arm with the roller #21

Torque on the star retainer bolt is #17 is 17 ft lbs (I torque them to 18 ft lbs as + or - 2 ft lbs is the margin of error of most torque wrenches)and the thread locking agent is specified as medium (Loctite blue) - note don't Loctite the bolt until you know it's working and are ready for the final assembly.
Rectangle Font Brand Logo Event

Font Art Parallel Drawing Line art

21 - 33 of 33 Posts