Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
im in the middle of rebuilding a 96 trx200d. The rear axle had a ton of slop so I tore it down sure enough the bearings are shot, Also has pretty good damage to the chain sprocket side of the bearing carrier. My first problem is I cant find a replacement rear axle bearing carrier so I wondered if other models were compatible (I can this part for damn near ever other model, 250, 300, etc.).
Second issue: this atv has a disc brake on the rear axle. Im wondering if they are after market parts because it looks like this model only came with brake drums. Thats confusing me but its not the issue. There is a threaded fitting that sits on the splined shaft in front of the brake disc hub (its left handed thread and has two nuts on it, a bigger cap nut looking thing that had a retaining ring under it, and a smaller nut that was tightened up to the fist nut) and i cant seem to find this threaded fitting part online either. I need to replace it because i finally resorted to taking the grinder to get it off because it was rusted on to the splines so bad. I don't see it on any of the schematics so i dont really know what its called or how to get a replacement. I've spent days on google and im striking out hard. Ill see posts for used parts sometimes but the rear axle ill see for sale drum brakes and the assembly doesnt seem to match what i have. Can anybody help me out?

·
Super Moderator
4,761 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately you have chosen to restore a not so popular model and there are not many parts available. Yes, it was a drum brake originally - I am not aware of any after market disk conversions and only the person who performed the mod could guide you in your quest to repair. Only parts with a model code of HF1 would interchange. I suggest the disk conversion was performed by transplanting the swing arm from another model. Good luck in identifying the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately you have chosen to restore a not so popular model and there are not many parts available. Yes, it was a drum brake originally - I am not aware of any after market disk conversions and only the person who performed the mod could guide you in your quest to repair. Only parts with a model code of HF1 would interchange. I suggest the disk conversion was performed by transplanting the swing arm from another model. Good luck in identifying the parts.
Is there any way to figure out what model the swing arm had been taken from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Natural material Plant Grass Wood Trunk
Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle
Pictures could help, but only the person who did it would know for sure.
The guy said the rear came off a Honda racer 2x4 and took some pics of what was left of the frame. Not sure if they’d help anyone identify it but they’re not much help to me lol. I’ll post them up just in case someone recognizes it. Said he couldn’t find any numbers on it but thought it was a 400

·
Super Moderator
4,761 Posts
Honda never made a 'racing' quad, but owners will race whatever they own. Nearest thing to a racing 2x4 Honda had was a TRX250R. If the guy didn't know what he cut up, then I would not buy anything from him. When you get a 'modified' anything, get the details. What came off what and how it was done - documentation, pics and written description. Good luck - if he didn't know what he had, you will probably never know either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honda never made a 'racing' quad, but owners will race whatever they own. Nearest thing to a racing 2x4 Honda had was a TRX250R. If the guy didn't know what he cut up, then I would not buy anything from him. When you get a 'modified' anything, get the details. What came off what and how it was done - documentation, pics and written description. Good luck - if he didn't know what he had, you will probably never know either.
Got it for free or I wouldn’t have taken it at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,761 Posts
This is the swingarm and bearing carrier for an 87 TRX250R
Font Motor vehicle Auto part Line art Automotive exterior

And this the assembly for a 2000 TRX400EX
Motor vehicle Font Auto part Art Automotive exterior

See the difference? The 87 swing arm is steel and the 00 swing arm is aluminum.

The bearing carrier you took pics of appears to be more similar to the 87, but could be the same as the 00..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts