Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here.
I have a 97 Honda 300 fourtrax 4wd. I was having some issues that I tracked to a trashed u joint/ yoke. The driveshaft seems to be OK.
After pulling the unit out of the swingarm, I was able to get the yoke off the driveshaft using some freeze off and a punch.
A bit of research led me to understand that some of the 300 driveshafts have some kind of clip holding the yoke to the shaft, and some do not. Mine had the clip that disintegrated when I got the yoke free, I am wondering if I can buy a new yoke and use the original driveshaft without the clip. I understand that the spring in the final drive unit end of the driveshaft is supposed to keep tension on it, at least for the shafts without the clip.
Any input or expertise will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,571 Posts
I checked with Honda and the consulted the service manual - there is no snap ring holding the yoke on the shaft (unless the ring is part of the shaft) - the yoke floats on the side gear shaft and the end of the shaft and the sprng in the pinion coupler holds the shaft forward to prevent id from slipping out of the yoke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. There is a deep groove on the yoke spline end on mine. Some small pieces of the ring came out of the groove after I got it separated from the driveshaft. I guess the shaft is the same size and universal through the 300 years? If so, a yoke with the u joint is all I need?
Sorry, if I'm a little unclear. I'm not a very skilled mechanic but not afraid to jump in and see what I can repair myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts