Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time reader, first time poster.
Am getting my dad's old 1999 Fourtrax 300 back up and running. I'm 100% a shadetree mechanic, for the record. I have replaced the carb and fuel line. Had it running for a bit, but have hit another snag. I believe the issue might be the fuel filter/screen inside the tank, which I just discovered was in there lol. I had ordered a replacement petcock, because I thought that was the issue. But not getting good gas flow even with the new part on there. They sent a replacement screen for the inside of tank along with the new petcock, which leads to my question. How the heck do you get the old one out of there and get the new one in? Surely there's an easy way. I've tried a couple of random tools I have with no luck. so figured I'd ask the experts. I'm sure I am way overcomplicating this. lol

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Welcome to the forum

The fuel filter is nylon (plastic) and will have to be destroyed to remove it from the tank - the material swells in the presence of ethanol and sticks in the hole. Sometimes I can heat them with a hot air gun to soften them to extract with small needle nose pliers, sometimes I can simply crush it with pliers and pull it out. Worst comes to worst and I use a cordless drill to drill the plastic in increasingly larger sizes until I can pull it out with a dental hook or push into the tank and then shake it out of the fill hole. Then use a gun cleaning brush in an electric drill to polish the hole before installing the new filter. Use caution if drilling not to contact and enlarge the metal bung the new petcock is going to thread onto. If the hole is enlarged, the filter will not stay in place when the petcock is installed and could end up floating around inside the tank and you will then have to rely on in line filtration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum

The fuel filter is nylon (plastic) and will have to be destroyed to remove it from the tank - the material swells in the presence of ethanol and sticks in the hole. Sometimes I can heat them with a hot air gun to soften them to extract with small needle nose pliers, sometimes I can simply crush it with pliers and pull it out. Worst comes to worst and I use a cordless drill to drill the plastic in increasingly larger sizes until I can pull it out with a dental hook or push into the tank and then shake it out of the fill hole. Then use a gun cleaning brush in an electric drill to polish the hole before installing the new filter. Use caution if drilling not to contact and enlarge the metal bung the new petcock is going to thread onto. If the hole is enlarged, the filter will not stay in place when the petcock is installed and could end up floating around inside the tank and you will then have to rely on in line filtration.
thanks! I found some double-jointed long nose pliers that allowed me to grab it and I managed to get most of it out, but it ended up breaking off at the base, so part of it is still in there. I may have made this issue worse. lol Are you saying I can drill from the outside? (as in, remove the petcock and drill through the hole from the outside until I get it cleared?

I did try the gas flow and same issue with new and old petcock (so my old one is probably still good). On RES, I get a little bit of gas flow. On ON, I get nothing. I assume the clog is at the bottom of where the filter attaches in that hole? Sound reasonable? I know just enough to be dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
I know just enough to be dangerous.
You are right about that! The filter is supposed to be removed from the outside with the petcock off the bung - there is a little ledge inside the hole that keeps it from going into the tank - that why is said to drill it in increasing steps to avoid drilling out that ledge. Remove the petcock and use pliers, screwdrivers and other implements of destruction to extract whats left of the old filter so the new filter can be installed in it's place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right about that! The filter is supposed to be removed from the outside with the petcock off the bung - there is a little ledge inside the hole that keeps it from going into the tank - that why is said to drill it in increasing steps to avoid drilling out that ledge. Remove the petcock and use pliers, screwdrivers and other implements of destruction to extract whats left of the old filter so the new filter can be installed in it's place.
OMG, thank you for saving me from myself! LMAO I'm laughing at my own ignorance. Completely misunderstood your first reply and my preconceived notion that it had to come off from the inside. I'll give that a shot tomorrow after work. Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts