Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting here- I hope its in the right place.
My bike is a trx350 kick shift

I recently tracked down a water short in my electric start button that I think was slowly draining my battery. To be sure, I checked a few other systems, too.
I found the weirdest thing..

I have continuity on the terminals of my accessory socket but ONLY when the key is off. When I turn the key on, there is no continuity...?????

What I've done so far:
- Tested the lines from the socket to the connector. No short.
- With key OFF, center terminal of socket and negative terminal of battery have continuity. No continuity with positive battery terminal
- With Key OFF, outer shell of the socket and negative terminal of battery have continuity. No continuity with positive battery terminal
- With key OFF, continuity between shell and center terminal on socket.~550ohms

- With key ON, center terminal of socket and positive terminal of battery have continuity. No continuity with negative battery terminal
- With key ON, outer shell of the socket and negative terminal of battery have continuity. No continuity with positive battery terminal
- With key ON, no continuity between shell and center terminal on socket.

reads 12V between center and shell of socket with key on, nothing with key off

Does anyone know why I would see a connection only with the key off? Scratching my head on this one hard

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
A little more info please - does your vehicle have a VIN? If so, what is it please? I will try to help with this, but I need to have the correct wiring diagram. I need to know the model year and sub-model (EX, TM, FE, etc.)

What you are getting sounds right - typically the center of the socket connects to positive and the shell is negative. The shell is negative all the time, but I can't say about the center connection until I study the wiring diagram - some of your checking may be invalid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply,

I believe its a 2001 trx 350 Canada FM model.

My battery is still slowly draining. There's a closed circuit somewhere that I can open by pulling the main fuse. Pulling the other fuses has no effect aside from the light fuse which adds about 10 ohms (?). In these tests, I'm checking for continuity across the disconnected battery leads.

I wonder if this is all related. Im starting to suspect the rectifier, but my electrical knowledge is pretty limited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts