Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I purchased an '86 Fourtrax 250 for the kids that needs a little work. I am going to be pulling the carb and either cleaning it or replacing it. I saw where I can bolt carburetor intake manifold boot for a 250x on to the 250 and then use the 250x carburetor, which has a 42mm opening vs a 40mm. The 250x manifold can be had for about $20 in ebay. Is there any benefit to be gained by doing this? Any performance increase etc?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
A small gain in top end at the expense of a small loss of throttle response off idle - other than that - nope and that is only dependent on the diameter of the port in the head

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A small gain in top end at the expense of a small loss of throttle response off idle - other than that - nope
Thanks. I am going to start out with giving my carb a good deep cleaning, but if I was going to have to replace it I figured I might as well look for an upgrade.

·
Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
Thanks. I am going to start out with giving my carb a good deep cleaning, but if I was going to have to replace it I figured I might as well look for an upgrade.
It's not really an upgrade unless you open the intake port and put in larger valves - it akin to getting an adapter to put a 4 bbl carb on a 2 bbl manifold - the carb will flow more air than the manifold will, but it will work, so have fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts