Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a new battery in about a month ago cause i thought the old one was bad but when i ide at night it kills the battery but will still run fine and the lights get dimmer and dimmer. is there a way to test the stator and rectifier?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Your quad does not need a battery to run - it only needs the battery to run the lights and the electric starter.

Of course there are tests for the charging system. Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have a meter and know how to use it. was trying to find the paremeter the ohms should be

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Don't worry about accuracy yet. The only way to get the same readings printed in the manual is to use the same meter they used to get those readings.

First step is to check the alternator stator for continuity between the windings and for shorts between the windings and ground. Disconnect the wires from the alternator where it plugs into the wiring harness or rectifier. Alternate method; disconnect the rectifier where it plugs into the wiring harness. Use the meter on the ohms scale to check for continuity between any pair of the 3 same colored wires (usually white or yellow) going to the alternator. You should have continuity and the reading should be approximately the same value. Now check for continuity between each of the 3 wires and ground (engine case or cylinder fin). There should none.

Let me know what you discover and we'll move on to the next step.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts