Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy has my old 01 400 ex.. It has had very few problems ever.. Got it out of garage the other day and the battery was dead.. Bump started it. Rode it around for a few minutes then shut it off.. Pushed start button and it tried to turn over but as I said battery was dead and wasn't enough juice... Charged the battery and now it blows the fuse no matter what.. Key off lights off. Blows fuse. Unplugged start/headlight switches. Key and neutral light. Still Pops fuse unugged rectifier and fuse stays good.. Replaced rectifier still pops fuse when new one is hooked up.. With everything plugged in as it should be and bump start bike. It runs great.. Neutral light works but dims when rpm go up. Please help. I'm a little lost

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
You have a bad rectifier/regulator or a short in the wire from the fuse to the regulator.

The quad does not need a battery to run. The battery just powers the electric starter and the lights when the motor is not running.

If you try running the quad to charge the battery, you can burn out the rectifier and/or the alternator. The charging system on the vehicle is not designed to "charge" - it is designed more or less to maintain the charge of a good battery. Try installing a new correct size battery (not just any cheap 12v battery, but a TX9-BS battery), get the rectifier tested to make sure if it failed or is still good and see what happens when every thing is connected properly.

Fleeting thought: make sure the battery is connected correctly. If it has a very low charge and is connected reverse polarity, it will blow the fuse as soon as soon as the wires are attached. After the fuse blows, you can still push start it and all the lights will work. And a dead battery can be reverse charged, but it will be weak and won't last long.

Keep us informed and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.