Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i adjusted my valves to tight because i had a load slapping in top end. Road it anyway this weekend and put a hole through the side of the valve cover. Plan on tearing into it but was curious what steps i should take? Is it just replace valves? Or do i have to split the case and clean it from top to bottom? Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Adjusting valves too tight will result in hard starting (or failure to start) and loss of power - you start by taking the cylinder head cover off and start assessing the damage and try to determine the cause. Most slapping noise comes from either the cam chain or the piston. Let us know what you find as you progress.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My machine wouldn't start this spring so i adjusted the valves and it started great and ran the best it has, very snappy. Only problem was the loud slapping. Not sure why, but the motor blew up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opened up the valve cover and a bolt from the cam sprocket fell out and wore through the side of the valve cover. I have pics but i get an error message when trying to upload.

·
Registered
55 Posts
More then likely the Cam Chain Tensioner was bad and jumped time causing a Valve hit the Piston and shoving the valve up through the Valve cover... Over Tightening the valves will just make a hard Start or Starts only when Cold, having to large of a Gap will cause the engine to act extremely Torquey and make a shit loaf of Valve Cladder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.