Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm in need of some major help i just got done putting a fresh top end on my 87 trx250x and now I come to find that there is also a knock in the lower end and I'm not sure where to start I've been looking for a lower end kit for it but with no avail just used cranks on Ebay. the video I'm posting is hard to tell but the noise you hear is not exhaust it's the horrible knock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Here 2 help thank you I will check it out I'm roayally upset I didn't catch this before ? got a ride two states away next month and gotta have this ol girl goin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update I just went and took everything apart again just to double check the crank and rod and I could not feel any play at all in either.... any and all suggestions are welcome I'm at a complete loss

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
Hard to tell by the pic, but there is no bronze material in the cam chain tensioner or guide. Is any of the material magnetic and is that bronze looking stuff bronze or something else?

It's easy to tell if the material is off the chain guide or tensioner - just look at them.

If that bronze looking stuff is bronze - it probably came off the lower end of the rod - it's the only place (other than the transmission) where bronze is used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ here 2 help I think what your seeing is just the oil on the metal shavings I'm learning as I go with this I was getting ready to split the case with the help of someone who knows what they are doing and found damage to my oil pump right under where the timing chain rides

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
That is the tensioner - the guide is on the front side

From the pic, the tensioner does not look severely worn - most of the wear occurs at the very top (where your finger is) and at the very bottom. The wear on the oil pump is from a defective cam chain. The top of the pump prevents the chain from coming off the crankshaft sprocket.

Did you install a new cam chain? If not - do it now

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Here 2 help my local parts store doesnt open for another hour but I am definitely ordering a new chain, tensioner set and guide. Thank you for your help once everything comes in I'll post an update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts