Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wonder if $3000 was a good price for a 86 trx250r. The guy has owned it since 1999. He says it just had a full service at a reputable shop. He says the bike runs perfect. Should I buy it? Am I going to have to work on it alot? Am I going to have to put money into it?
Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
$3000 is a good price for the seller - consider the TRX250R was discontinued after 4 years of production - almost zero new OEM parts are available and some parts are not even available used - if you are not going to ride it often, then it might be an expensive toy and could provide hours of enjoyment.

Full service? Get the receipts to find out what FULL service consists of.

He says the quad (not bike) runs perfect? Don't take his word, ride it before you buy it. If it runs perfect and is so valuable, why is he selling it?

Are you going to have to work on it a lot? Not if you don't ride it. It's a two stroke - they need to be rebuilt frequently, but are simple to work on - make sure you know where to get parts for it.

Are you going to have to put money into it? ABSOLUTELY! It caost about $1000 per year to operate the average new quad - you will pay a premium for replacements parts for an antique ATV.

Now consider I have been working on these things since before the ATC90 hit the scene. There was an American made off road three wheeler sold before Honda re-invented it. I have a bad attitude and am skeptical of all 'deals'. I never pay asking price and don't buy most of the vehicles that I take an interest in. First question I have for a seller is Why? Second question; Do you have the owners manual? (they came with an owners manual and if the seller does not have the owners manual then he knows nothing about recommended operation or maintenance so the price drops by half without the manual) Third question is; Do you have the tool kit that came with it? Just to add insult to the sellers ignorance. (the machine came with a rudimentary tool kit which wasn't worth the money it cost to manufacture, but it served as a starting point for the tools that were going to be needed for minor repairs and normal maintenance).

Remember: the only thing good about the good ol' days is they are gone. If you grew up in the late 70's, always wanted a TRX250R, but never got one, have a good job and lot's of idle money laying around, then get it and satisfy that dream - in a year or two, you will be ready to pass it along, but by then even less parts will be available and yet higher in cost so finding a sucker to sell it to becomes even harder, but there is one born every minute, so place you bet and let the chips fall.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
It's your money

I would not buy it myself as the fenders have been chopped, it's got Micky Mouse headlights because the OEM headlight was destroyed could could not be purchased so the best cheap option was used. It has been obviously modified, so how well does it start and are all the gears there? Does the clutch hook up or slip? Does the clutch release properly or drag when in gear and pulled in? What kind of oil is in the transmission? How the transmission oil look and smell? What condition are the brakes, wheel bearings, chain and sprocket in? What kind of air filter does it have and what condition is it in? What are the engine specs - has it been over bored or stock? When was the last time new rings or a new piston and rings installed? What brand of piston does it have in it? What kind of oil was mixed with the fuel, what brand and grade of fuel has been used in it and what fuel to oil ratio has been used?

It's too old for a book value, so anything from free to whatever you are willing to pay for it is fair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts