Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used TRX, 'What to 'Watch out for'?
I'm going to look at a 'used' 2003 TRX300EX.
Are there any 'known problems' I should be looking for?
Machine is supposed to be clean and cared for.
Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Ask for the tool kit, owners manual and title. Check inside the air box to see if the filter has been serviced or neglected. Check the oil - is it dirty or fresh? Check the rear axle bearings. Check the condition of the brake pads. Look for oil leaks (seeping at the gaskets is ok as long as it isn't leaving puddles) Check for missing fasteners. Make sure the exhaust is tight. See if the engine starts easily. Look for smoke from the exhaust both when the engine is cold and hot. Make sure the engine starts easily when hot. listen for abnormal noise in the engine (a little ticking is normal - loud ticking or clunking is not normal). Look at the condition of the sprockets and check to see how much adjustment is left in the chain. Inspect the tires for plugs and spin the wheels to check for trueness of the rims. Make sure all the cables move freely and check for fraying at the ends. Lift each end of the machine to check for play in the suspension. Shake the handlebars from side to side to check the steering stem bearing and turn the handlebars one way then the other to check for play in the tie rods. That covers most of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok. How do I check the rear axle bearings?

Thank you for you comments and insite. This bike was my 'Plan 'B'.
Plan 'A' is a 06' TRX250EX. I've been waiting for the owner to produce the title. (it was held-up with the speedy state). I called the owner today. The title is on its way from Olympia.
I had looked at and rode this 06 prior to looking at the TRX300EX.
I had told the 250 owner I would take the bike when the title showed.
I had given up on it. Then, today I hear the title it was on its way!

Sooo what can ya tell me about TRX250EX's?:rolleyes:
Its a '06. Ridden in a pasture and down packed pee-gravel roads by a 16 y/o girl until she got her drivers license. Since '07 its been ridden very little.
It has a new battery and runs out nice.
The owners manual is still in the plastic under the seat. Bike has been stored indoors.

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
A 250EX is essentially the same as the 300EX.

You can check the rear axle bearings by rocking the machine from side to side and watch for movement at the carrier - or - prop the rear end up and try lifting on the rear wheels - any movement of the axle without movement of the rear swing arm indicates bad bearings

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought this same bike last year for my daughter and when we got it home we found that the rear differential fluid had never been changed. Same situation, they rode it on a farm, kid got too big. He never took care of it, never changed the oil, spark plug was original and nasty. The 250's are shaft drive though, not chain like the 300. Besides the fluids and the normal maintenance stuff, the bike was perfectly fine. I don't know of any 'known' issues, just had to heat gun the plastics and replace the seat because their dog liked to eat it for dessert.

We bought another 06 Trx250 2 months later for my son too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.