Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 400ex with a blown engine, it was a 440 12.5:1 with ported head and stage 3 camshaft. the timing chain broke and caused all the damage. I bought a good used stock head and an 11:1 piston kit and I'm wondering if I should re-use the cam I have or replace it with a stage 1 or 2 cam?

The head that came with the atv is not repairable or I would have rebuilt it.

I just want the quad to putt around on and don't need the high output mods but it was cheaper to buy a 440 replacement piston kit with gaskets than it was to buy a stock cylinder and piston kit.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
If the cam is in good condition and there is no damage to the rocker arms, then it can be used - no problem. The hi perf cam is just a gear head option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just concerned that hot cams website says the stage 3 cam is for big bore/stroker motors with a ported head.

Another question I have, I haven't ordered a timing chain yet, Any brand that's recomended? Is there a heavy duty chain available?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Of course Hotcams wants you to use their product, but the engine will run fine with the stock cam, it just won't develop the FULL horsepower that might be available with the modified cam.

·
Registered
61 Posts
stage 3 hc is a bottem end cam for your quad. it will work fine on mild builds also. it will not feel as fast as the stage 2(mid to top cam) but it will make a ton of low rev tourqe. stg 3(bottem end cam) is a very driver friendly cam in the woods. just make sure you shift quickly because this cams peak power is somewhere around 7000 rpm, so once you rev over that, your just making more noise not power

and welcome

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I was just concerned that hot cams website says the stage 3 cam is for big bore/stroker motors with a ported head.

Another question I have, I haven't ordered a timing chain yet, Any brand that's recomended? Is there a heavy duty chain available?
I needed time to check on the cam chain question - I have been told by many wannabe mechanics that the cam chain for a CRF450R can be used in the TRX400EX and is about 1/2 the price of the TRX chain. They justify the CRF chain as being heavy duty due to the plates of the chain being thicker. Actually, the TRX chain is heavier duty than the CRF chain. The CRF chain weighs less and Honda expects the riders of the CRF to replace the chain more often. Use your own judgement - do you think a chain that has less mass and costs less is heavier duty than a chain that weighs more and costs more?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts