Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx300ex , 2004 raptor 686 , 86 lt230ge , 81 xr250r , 2001 ttr125
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed my carb was leaking from under the plastic cover throttle side. After pulling it off I noticed when I move the throttle it pushes on the little roller and when that pushes the plunger in its pushing gas out from the little check ball. See pic for one im talking about. Pointing at it with screwdriver. I don't think it should be leaking gas into the plastic cover. What would be causing this?
Also can anyone tell me if the choke piece in picture two is fixable? It hangs up on the spring trying to turn the choke on but Will push it correctly turning it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also is this little bar supposed to be sticking out

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll post my findings. I attempted to push that bar back in with some pliers. I was successful however it pushed the BB in question out of the other side. I thought it would be a bar with a spring holding tension on the BB but now I'm starting to think not as if I push the BB back in it pushes the bar back out. I would really like to figure this out instead of throwing a Chinese replaca on it as I don't have the money for a oem replacement. If anyone has some insight please or if a known upgrade for the 300ex if I'm gonna have to replace it anyways

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
This is a forum, not a bulletin board - you have to wait for members to respond and not expect an immediate reply to a post.

First post:

First pic: that rod you are pointing to with the screwdriver is the accelerator pump - if gas is coming up around the rubber bellows it's because the pump diaphragm is porous and needs to be replaced. There are no 'check balls' in the area you are looking at. That brass ball behind the screwdriver is a plug sealing off a cross drilled passage within the carb body. If gas is leaking past the ball, the carb needs to be heated to about 250 degrees, the ball pressed or driven in about .010" and resealed with an anaerobic sealant - or the carb needs to be replaced.

Second pic: The choke part is missing the cover protecting the governor spring and operator. The cover is replaceable - $5 part - the operation is the lever turns the choke shaft 90 degrees to close the choke butterfly - the spring is a governor which allows the butterfly valve to open some during the intake stroke to help prevent over choking. If the shaft is not turning freely, it may be due to dirt and grit in the governor housing or a slight misalignment of the butterfly plate in the throat of the carb.

Second & third post: that rod sticking our is the accelerator pump nozzle. The hole in the nozzle needs to be in the center of the square notch. That nozzle should not be moved under any circumstance. Chances are your pressing it out with pliers may have crushed the end with the spray orifice in it and may now not be functional. Fill the carb with liquid (mineral spirits, alcohol or gas) - operate the throttle and assure the mechanism presses on the pump rod - holding the carb vertical, operate the throttle several times to see if the liquid squirts out of the nozzle directly into the depths of the carb, it will be fine. If not, get a new carb and I advise you to get a used OEM carb rather than the Chinese counterfeit version. If you buy a $35 Amazon or Ebay carb you will spend many hours removing, adjusting, jetting and replacing it until it performs correctly. Fits does not mean works. I would rather rebuild an OEM for $100 than screw with a Chinese version for which there are no parts available.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wasn't trying to be impatient, was just updating my findings. That being the pump nozzle makes more sense. I got it pushed back out to center, put some gas in the carb and tested it and it squirts up at the slide so maybe I'm alright still. I put the ball back in and covered it with some fuel resistant gasket sealer. So far its stopped leaking and bike seems to be running fine but its been snowing so haven't had a chance to take it for a real ride. What am I looking for if the accelerator pump is not working right?

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
If the accelerator pump is not working right, there will be a severe bog off idle or whenever you close the throttle to slow for a turn and then stab the throttle open as you exit the turn - no bog - no problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts