Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, so I've had this 400ex that had some carb problems, so I put a dynojet jet kit into it awhile back and after that it wouldn't run without the choke on. So I found out the secondary jet was clogged, so I cleaned it out and boom! Runs great after some adjustments. Only problem now is that the overflow tube is leaking all the excess gas out and its really bad, I don't know why its happening, it doesn't cut out, lack power, it runs amazing even while its leaking so bad! Somebody help! I don't understand this at all...

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Very simple - the float needle is not shutting off the gas because the float level is wrong or there is something keeping the needle from sealing against the seat or the overflow tube in the float bowl is damaged or dare I suggest the float bowl drain screw is loose

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
No need to buy a float unless the one you have is bad.

Screw? The float bowl drain screw. Most carb's have one. It is described in the owner's manual. If you don't know where it is or what it looks like, buy a manual. If you can read and understand what you read, you can fix it.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Can't say the needle needs replaced without examining it. It might or there might be something keeping the needle from seating. A single hair can cause the fuel to overflow. What I don't know is if you are working with a stock carb or some kind of "performance" aftermarket carb.

If you can take the needle out without removing the carb (turn it in the manifold to get the float bowl off), then with the float and needle removed, turn the gas on to flush out the seat. Examine the needle's pointed tip for scratches or cracks. Install the needle so the spring loaded tip is going to be pushed on by the float tang. Install the float and turn the gas on. Raise the float by hand to shut the gas off. The float should be approximately horizontal to the body of the carb when the gas is shut off. If the gas won't shut off by raising the float, it's up to you to figure out why.

If the gas shuts off the gas and the float is horizontal to the carb body, fill the float bowl and see if fuel leaks out - if it does, figure out why, then resolve the problem. When put back together the problem should be gone.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.