Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they really work? Do I need one? Those that I have seen installed are installed in place of the sprocket guard...is that safe? It seems like the sprocket guard is more likely to get some use than a case saver. Thoughts?

Justin

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have not needed mine yet. I do have a case saver on mine. The stock product is junk. Check out being star or lone star racing. They make some nice one. I have seen a chain thrown with the stock guard. The case was junk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes you do need a case saver unless you want to risk knocking a hole in your engine. I wouldn't run with out it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read about them...
I bought an aluminum case saver, but read that metal ones can be hit by the chain and then bust through the case still.
Polyurethane is the way to go apparently.
I didn't feel like spending $40 on one, so i bought some urethane and made my own...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw on the 700XX forum that there is a 17t front sprocket for the 700XX, and there is no room for a case saver. He made a custom one, that probably wouldn't do much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have personally had a stock one push through a case. Pro design and moose also have some nice case savers its worth a little now to save a fortune later

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
In my experience - if the chain is a quality chain (price usually = quality) and the sprockets are in good condition (new sprockets installed at the same time as a new chain) and the chain is adjusted properly and the suspension is maintained (axle and swing arm bearings serviced regularly, throughly and properly) - a case guard may not be needed. I have never broken a chain, so I can't say, but I have repaired many engines that got intimate with a chain and the cause was poor or no maintenance to the drive line. BTW - I have the OEM "chain guide" on my engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts