Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Education please.......
During my first actual ride the clutch seemed to slip.....
Backing up a bit during my carb and brake repair once in a while I would try to squeeze clutch lever, would be hard sometimes, did not want to pull in at all other times.
There is free play on handle after let loose, released.
When letting out to take off, clutch engages when lever is almost all the out.
I look at actual lever, on engine housing, looks like it does not move very much at all.
How much is it suppose to move?
Clutch does seem to hold most of time even when torquing into it.
Is there a spring, or spring assembly that may be soft or broke.
Pressure plate???
In a whole just does not seem smooth ,even and proper.

Where can I find info on proper adjusting and specification of this issue...

Many thanks again......

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Probably need a new cable - take the old cable off and try to push and pull it through the housing with your fingers. The inner wire should move with little or no resistance. Corrosion or a pinch in the outer housing can cause the inner wire to bind and not move freely. If the wire does not move freely, the clutch might not pull the wire or lever all the way back and can cause the clutch to slip.

If there is no problem in the cable, you probably need a new clutch. I always put in new springs when I replace a clutch as the springs can lose tension with heat and age. A set of springs is only about $10. If you replace the clutch and cheap out and only replace the fiber plates, have the driven plates glass beaded. Any transmission shop can do this for you and most motorcycle shops can do this also. Or go for the gold and get a clutch kit with both sets of plates and springs included.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch Cable

Many thanks it was a thought in my head of possibly being the cable. I disconnected the cable. It took all I had with a pair of vise grips to slide the cable in the casing. I would say the cable is the problem at this point, the clutch seems to operate smoothly with adjustable wrench on actual lever. My question is how did it even work at all?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clutch cable

Put new clutch cable on, Motion Pro went for a ride ,about an hour. Seems the clutch is way out of adjustment already. Did the cable stretch that much in that short of time? If so is that normal? How much more if so should it stretch?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
parts availability

Is it only in SW Florida that you can not walk into a Dealer and walk out with parts. Non absolutely non, no Dealer everything you want must be ordered.

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
Cables don't stretch more than a few thousandths of an inch - something else is going on. Not installed properly or maybe something moved. The design of the clutch release on the TRX400EX causes the cabe to get tighter as the clutch wears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.