Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if the forums are still pretty active. I know most people are going to the social page groups. But I need all the help/opinions I can get.
A buddy brought me his 98 Fourtrax 300 not running. He had someone else do the gear reduction, new plates,fibers, springs and top end. Top end came apart so I fixed that and took clutch cover off to clean metal out. All went back together as it should. Soon as you put it in gear or reverse it starts moving/creeping. Tried adusting clutch nut and didn't help. If you go the opposite way of you should it will stall out or die telling me adjuster is moving. I tried adjusting idle down as low as i could and it did not help. I took the plates off and looked at them. seemed a little dark for just a few rides. not sure if they were presoaked before install. ended up doing a new centrifugal clutch and one way bearing. after installing one way bearing i checked to make sure centrifugal clutch would only rotate counter clockwise and not clockwise. I also soaked cent. clutch in oil before install. reinstalled everything. adjusted clutch nut according to manual and still same thing. could it be something with the plates or the old centr. clutch housing?? thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also to add the new one way bearing was marked this side out with arrow pointing opposite direction of old one. if i installed it that way they clutch pak would only spin clockwise. so i flipped bearing around so it only spin counter clockwise. could that be an issue. maint. manual says only counter clockwise

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
Obviously not a 300EX as they had a manual clutch only - the 300 and 300FW have 3 clutches.

Gear reduction? It's a shaft drive and I know of no gear reduction modification. Now the 300 was 2WD and the 300FW was 4WD, but the two used the same clutches, so moving on............

The manual clutch has nothing to do with creep when in gear. The multiplate wet clutch is for facilitating shifting only. The adjustment controls how soon or late the multiplate clutch disengages and engages during shifting. If the gearshift lever is operated slowly, the clutch should release prior the the changing of gears.

If you operate the shift lever and hold it (either up or down) while in gear it should allow you to rev the engine without creep. This will be partly determined by the grade and classification of oil in it (JASO rated MA or MA2 10w40 is recommended).

Now if the creep is from idle to about 1800 RPM, the problem is in the centrifugal clutch or an improper installation.

Watch Product Font Auto part Circle

Camera Flash photography Digital camera Camera lens Font

The one way clutch must be installed with the side marked OUTSIDE so you can see the word when it's installed. The purpose of the one way clutch is to provide engine braking and the ability to push start the engine. With the driving wheels off the ground (rear wheels on 2WD and all four wheels on 4WD) and the transmission in gear, turning the wheels 'forward' (clockwise when on the right hand side of the vehicle) or turning the multiplate wet clutch counter clockwise, should result in the crankshaft being turned clockwise.

The centrifugal clutch assy is installed into the one way clutch by rotating counter clockwise while pushing into the one way clutch. The entire assembly is then slid into position on the crankshaft pinion gear (#14).
Font Handwriting Auto part Drawing Circle

Ensure the washer (#23) is in position and finish the installation.

With the transmission in neutral, turning the clutch bell (#11) counter clockwise should result in the manual clutch turning freely and in the opposite direction - turning the manual clutch counter clockwise should result in the centrifugal clutch bell locking to the pinion gear and turning the crankshaft clockwise.

If there is any drag between the clutch bell and the crankshaft, determine the cause and correct it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. A lot of useful information. It is a 300fw. By gear reduction I should have said primary clutch reduction. If you hold shifter up and rev it does not move. It was a brand new complete centrifugal clutch so I did not take apart or put together. New one way bearing installed and only spins one way per manual. I even took it back out flipped it and no change. All washers in correct spot and correct orientation. Using motorcycle 10w40.

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
D'Ho - now you know why Amazon shit is so cheap - it might be a close copy, but zero QC - send it back as defective and get a used one from powersportsnation.com or a new one from Honda - I won't buy anything from Amazon unless absolutely no one else has it and then I'm prepared to do what's necessary to make it work as it's supposed to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts