Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Honda 400ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the clutch on a 2001 400ex. I have had this quad for a long time and replaced the clutch the last time probably 10 years ago. I installed the new clutch and when I put it back together it isn't disengaging and the only way I get enough tension is to fully adjust my lever and lower adjustment all the way out. So I ordered a new basket, inner hub, pressure plate, lever in the side cover and every washer, nut spring and cable. All are open. The clutch kit is a tusk. I assembled everything tonight again and nothing changed. I went through the manual and double checked everything and have assembled.and.disassembled it probably 10 times with no change. Has any else had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
I can't say I have ever experienced the same problem, but what parts of the clutch did you change? I am not familiar with what a Tusk clutch kit includes, but I have found that heavy duty springs do not improve the clutch and may cause problems - I only use stock springs unless building a drag racer where the clutch is only used for the launch and stopping. Unfortunately, you cannot observe the clutch operation without a cut out clutch cover. I might provide more comprehensive guidance if I could observe the installation and assembly technique.

·
Registered
2001 Honda 400ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tusk is the brand of the fiber discs. I replaced everything from the clutch basket out with OEM parts including all washers, springs and bolts. Cable was also replaced with OEM. I broke the manual out to double check everything.

·
Registered
2001 Honda 400ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you did not replace the steel driven plates?
I replaced the basket, thrust wash, clutch hub, fiber plates, steel plates, flat washer, lock washer, nut, pressure plate, center pull rod, springs, bolts, rod that the cable hooks up to to pull the clutch, small spring for rod, bushing on side cover, and cable. All OEM parts except the clutch plates and steel plates

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Then the problem is the plates - either they just need broken in, are extra thick, swelled excessively as they absorbed oil.............

Oil - what kind of oil did you use? Was it a JASO rated oil?

·
Registered
2001 Honda 400ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked the oil up at the dealer. The problem seems to be that the lever is engaging the pressure plate too late so I am running out of twist before it is fully disengaged. I have to have the cable fully adjusted out at the motor and lever to use up all the slack in the cable.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
In that case, either the plates are too thick, there is too many plates or the cable too long - 7 fiber and 6 steel plates?

Did you get the cable from Honda or Amazon?

Although you got the oil at the dealer, did you get JASO rated oil? If it was Honda GN4 then it is JASO rated and not a problem.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
I simply don't know what to suggest beyond this point. For the lifter to not lift the pressure plate sufficiently means the cable is too long, the lever is incorrect, the pressure plate is too close to the cover, the clutch has movement on the transmission shaft or the transmission shaft has excessive end play. I would have to have hands on to see what is going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had this problem before, after redoing my work a million times. The best thing is that if you do not have insane engine upgrades is to use new OEM clutch plates, and the clutch needs to be breaken in this takes about an hour and a half of riding with excessivley using the clutch and a lot of adjusting the cable.

·
Registered
2001 Honda 400ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Figured it out last night. I put asv f2 levers on as well and they actually need a spacer to use up cable due to the fact the distance between the adjuster and where it connects to the lever is about an inch shorter than the stock levers

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Figured it out last night. I put asv f2 levers on as well and they actually need a spacer to use up cable due to the fact the distance between the adjuster and where it connects to the lever is about an inch shorter than the stock levers
Thanks for the update .

As you have found out, changing the original design is not always an improvement, you have to make changes in one step increments. If you install a new carb and a new throttle and it won't run above half throttle is the problem the carb or the throttle? If you change the carb and it works perfectly and then change the throttle and it won't run above half throttle, then the culprit is obvious.

Glad you got it resolved and are back to enjoying your ride.

·
Registered
2001 Honda 400ex
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Normally that is what I would do when working on something but a roll down a hill started this project this time. Levers, bars and stem all needed replaced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts