Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 400 EX and my perch lever for my clutch broke. Where the lever is bolted into the perch the threaded part on the bottom broke off. I’m looking to put an aftermarket clutch and perch on the ATV. However there is a switch that is standard on the ATV. How do I get around this standard switch on my ATV?

Thanks Joe

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
That switch is what signals the CDI when you are in gear that you are holding the clutch lever in so it will start without having to find neutral. If you bypass the switch it will let the starter motor run whether the clutch is pulled in or not. You can simply remove the switch from the housing and tape it to the handlebar or unplug it from the wiring harness and plug the wiring harness wires together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That switch is what signals the CDI when you are in gear that you are holding the clutch lever in so it will start without having to find neutral. If you bypass the switch it will let the starter motor run whether the clutch is pulled in or not. You can simply remove the switch from the housing and tape it to the handlebar or unplug it from the wiring harness and plug the wiring harness wires together.
Thank you very much. I kind of was thinking along those lines but it's nice to have someone to confirm what you're thinking! Keeps me from doing something really dumb! LOL
At least for today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got another question for you. When I put the new clutch perch on now I can't seem to get the clutch to disengage the drivetrain. I have tried adjusting it on the perch down below on the course not. What am I doing wrong?? When I am trying to make these adjustments I have the full will or up off the ground on a cart so as I start the ATV with it in gear and the clutch pulled the rear wheels still want to spend when I'm starting it. Also just double checking I cut the switch wire to the clutch lever and wired it direct removing the switch. Is there any chance that doing that is causing any problems. Thanks for your help in advance

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
Among other factors driving the rear wheels besides the clutch is oil viscosity, pressure plate spring tension and engine temperature - if you set the brake, disengage the clutch (pull the lever in) let the engine warm and when putting into gear, use second for the initial engagement instead of first - once in gear, you can shift down before taking off.

When the clutch is disengaged, there is oil between the plates and oil will drive the clutch turning the wheels when the wheels have zero resistance - even in neutral the oil film between the transmission shaft passing through the gears can turn the rear wheels. Heavy viscosity oil, low oil temperature and close tolerance parts will exaggerate the phenomenon. Use of non-JASO rated oil will also exaggerate this characteristic.

If it's bad enough, then only a clutch rebuild will be the answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts