Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Friends,

My 1990 TRX 300 Big Red requires a new clutch as it is slipping badly. How big a job is it to replace the clutch kit on these machines? I have access to a fully equipped workshop for the proposed task and will be armed with a Haynes manual. Any advice or pointers would be grateful. Also, I was thinking of purchasing the EBC 'Dirt Racer' clutch kit.

Many thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 300 but a clutch change shouldn't be too bad. with tools and a manual you will be fine. I don't care for anything other than oem clutches. I had a dirt digger in my quadracer 250r and after only a few hours of abuse I had warped plates. I ended up putting the stock steels back in with the ebc fibers and it worked out fine. Even in my streetbike I use oem clutches (CBR1000RR), they last the longest and dont slip as bad when hot.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
There are 2 clutches in your TRX - an automatic and a manual. The manual clutch is adjustable while the automatic is not. Either clutch my cause slippage and the automatic needs to be inspected also. Check the adjustmemt (if you haven't done so) of the manual clutch.

Many times there is nothing wrong with the driving (fiber) plates. The problem may be just the driven (steel) plates and the springs. If there is no visable defects in the fiber plates, but the steel plates appear polished, as lond as the steel do not appear burnt (bluie) and there is no warpage, you might have the steels glass bead blasted (transmission shops do this) and just replace the springs. Upon assembly, proper adjustment is critical. If the clutch (new or used) is not adjusted properly, it may still slip.

Slippage in the automatic clutch is more difficult to determine, but if the clutch hub is deeply grooved, it might slip also.

Oil is important too. Using an automotive oil rather than a motorcycle approved oil, a heavy viscosity oil or certain oil additives can cause clutch slippage too. Sometimes just putting in the correct oil can solve the problem.

Attention to details is important. Nothing is so irritating as buying a bunch of parts, installing them and then having the same problem because it wasn't faulty parts causing the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts