Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 400ex clicks like it is shifting up but I open the clutch case and I seen that the shift star does not move past neutral. It only clicks from 1st to neutral. I tried hand twisting the clutch star and it does not wanna move past neutral for some odd reason. How can I get it to shift through all 5 speeds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Well, either the engine has to be running or the wheels have to be turning to change gears and that's why I asked.

OK - here's a kinda off the wall possibility: I knew one dumbass who removed the chain guide (affectionately called a case saver) from under the sprocket cover and put the bolts back into the holes - one of the bolts bottomed out in the hole and broke through into the transmission obstructing the shift mechanism from moving out of neutral - low and neutral was all he had - when he started tearing down the motor to fix the transmission, he found after he removed the chain guide mounting bolts, the transmission would magically shift - he figured out what he had done when he filled the engine with oil and it ran out of the bolt hole by the sprocket - he put the bolt back in to stop the oil and found out it would not shift again - he had to get a shorter bolt to put in the hole and stop the oil while not obstructing the shifter.

Maybe? Check it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
The shifter mech is on the left side and goes into the engine case before the transmission goes in when assembling one. The shift lock is on the right side behind the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, either the engine has to be running or the wheels have to be turning to change gears and that's why I asked.

OK - here's a kinda off the wall possibility: I knew one dumbass who removed the chain guide (affectionately called a case saver) from under the sprocket cover and put the bolts back into the holes - one of the bolts bottomed out in the hole and broke through into the transmission obstructing the shift mechanism from moving out of neutral - low and neutral was all he had - when he started tearing down the motor to fix the transmission, he found after he removed the chain guide mounting bolts, the transmission would magically shift - he figured out what he had done when he filled the engine with oil and it ran out of the bolt hole by the sprocket - he put the bolt back in to stop the oil and found out it would not shift again - he had to get a shorter bolt to put in the hole and stop the oil while not obstructing the shifter.

Maybe? Check it out.
One of my clutch cover gasket bolts on the right side. (Right side oil filter bolt also) broke off and it pops out a millimeter on t

Maybe? Check it out.
the right side gasket bolt broke inside when I was tightening the oil filter it is that what you were talking about?

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
No - the shifter is on the left inside the transmission
I don't have any real good pics - I pulled this one from a service manual

Take the bolt out of this hole and see if it will shift - if you take the bolt out and oil runs out, then you know the bolt was too long and that might be why it's not shifting past neutral. If that's the case, put in a short bolt with a copper washer to seal off the oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts