Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there....I am the newbie to the Forum and want to thank everyone for looking at this for me. I have a 1998 Honda Trx 450S. It is a manual shift and had been sitting for a couple years before I got it. After fixing a head issue I thought I has in the clear and had it running great. When I tried to put it in gear (any gear) it feels and sounds like it went in but there is no movement at all even with high rpm....

Even with atv cold and in gear it will role freely. I am hoping that it is a clutch stuck. I do have a CLYMER Maintence manual but, it just tell me how to tear down and remove and even that seems like a BIG job. I am pretty good with a wrench and was hoping someone could give me some guidance about how to troubleshoot this and if I should start with the centrifugal clutch (I am guessing this is the one stuck) or the shifting clutch.

Once again that you for taking the time to read this..

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, tomorrow is the day I am tearing into the clutch side hoping to find something stuck or frozen in place... PB Blaster in hand...wish me luck!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
Your problem might equire a long explanation, but I'll try to keep it brief.

Your problem would not be caused by a stuck clutch, but more likely a burned out clutch and most likely the manual clutch. But it might simply be an incorrectly adjusted clutch release.

The fact that it rolls freely in gear is the stumper. The centrifugal clutch has a one-way clutch in it also to provide engine braking and allowing you to push start it. It is possible the one-way clutch is bad even if the manual clutch is good. The centrifugal clutch seldom fails (likewise the one-way clutch) unless the machine has not been maintained properly. Dirty oil damages these parts faster than anything else.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What i found

When i disassembled the clutch cover i found the clutch adjustment screw was not attached correctly to clutch when i removed the clutch cover the atv would roll only in thr opposite direction of the gear it was in....if in 1-4 wheels will roll backward....if in reverse it will roll forward......

I thought i would reassemble and see if it works.....i agree i dont think anything is wrong with centrifugal clutch.....

Is there any way to see if other clutch is fried while in there

Thanks Tim

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
There is a specific thickness for the plates (I'll have to check a manual). If the steel plates have a blued look then the friction plates probably should be replaced. The steel plates should be checked for warp and as a matter of precaution, put in a new set of springs. The fact that it only rolled in one direction and opposite in reverse, indicates the one way clutch is working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What i found

This morning i cleaned adjusted and reassembled the clutch linkage and cover. After i was done the atv tranny seems to be working fine.....atleast it is working now...thats a ton better then before.....i wont know if the clutch is strong till i get it out on a ride. Thanks for the advise.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts