Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently started my 2006 trx up after not running for over a year. It's stuck in the fail safe mode and code 12 keeps flashing. I've checked the control motor wiring and also removed motor and hooked up to a battery and it spun nicely( its not that old, I replaced it a while ago). In that manual it says that the ecm must be faulty but I have a spare ecm and it still does the same code 12. I've put a new angle sensor on because the resistivity test was out and checked the wiring from that to the ecm.
Has anyone got any more clues or things I can check?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
It's probably a wiring connectivity issue - I would start by unplugging all the connectors, de-oxidizing them, lube with dielectric grease, put them back together and then cleaning all the ground connections.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably a wiring connectivity issue - I would start by unplugging all the connectors, de-oxidizing them, lube with dielectric grease, put them back together and then cleaning all the ground connections.
Thanks, I've ordered some contact cleaner and lube. Will have another go in the next few days. It must be something like that, when I try and do the initial setup procedure it gets to the part where the control motor is meant to spin but it doesn't nor does it when I first turn the key on. Do you know if its very common for those ECM's to fail?

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
ECM failure is not common, but they do fail occasionally, Setting unused is hard on the connections, they get condensation on the metal parts and then corrosion leading to a loss of contact. Sometimes just unplugging things and plugging them back together clears the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ECM failure is not common, but they do fail occasionally, Setting unused is hard on the connections, they get condensation on the metal parts and then corrosion leading to a loss of contact. Sometimes just unplugging things and plugging them back together clears the problem.
I went over all those plugs with the cleaner and tweeked a few which looked loose and hey presto! It works perfectly now, thanks alot for your help

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
You are welcome - I have a degree in electronics and I stress to novices; 90% of all electrical problems are connections and 90% of all connection problems are grounds. People tend to be mystified and intimidated by electronics, but it's really quite simple. One of the hardest things to convince people of is that water does not conduct electricity and is an insulator, but impurities in water (iron, phosphate, sodium etc) do conduct electricity and water eases the ionization of the impurities which is crucial for the flow of electrical current.

Congratulations on getting it repaired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts