Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just trying to pull out my stator to get to the electric start gear behind it as my electric start just sounds like its stripping teeth off or jumping or something haha thinking it may be the starter clutch but having trouble getting the crankshaft bolt off as i dont have the service tool and jus looking for some suggestions cheers :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got the timing key in and don't know how tight on the crankshaft bolt. I initially zinged it on pretty tight with an air gun to seat the flywheel. I'm just wondering if I should back it off before starting the motor.
hrc kit with hc stage 2
13t front
Crankshaft, Kits & Accessories
full big gun race pipe
Big Gun over rev box
tons of heart and BIG BALLS

·
Super Moderator
4,276 Posts
NO! Don't back it off. My sources specify 80 foot pounds of torque on the bolt. If you don't get it tight enough, the flywheel key will shear. The key is only for alignment. The flywheel is held in place by being tightened onto the taper of the crankshaft.

If you want to torque the flywheel properly and want to do so without special tools - fill the cylinder with oil (kerosene will do), torque the bolt and when done, take the spark plug out and crank the engine over slowly to get the liquid out. NOTE: KEEP ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION AWAY FROM ANY FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS BEING USED! With most of the liquid out, crank the engine with the recoil (prefered) or electric starter to expel most of the rest of it. Depending on the liquid used, you can use compressed air to displace more of it. Finally, with the spark plug out and the engine at bottom dead center, let it set for a day or two before trying to start.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts