Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 86 fourtrax a couple months back for 500$,needless to say she needed a new everything, I replaced everything OEM expect the coil assembly, it starts and runs ok if you hold the throttle down a little bit, but the second you let off the throttle it doesn’t idle. I’ve tried the pilot screw and the idle adjustment speed screw with no luck, it was my first ever attempt at bringing any motor back from the dead and I’ve learned lots so far, maybe there’s something I missed while re building the carb? I kept count of the o rings and I washer while re building to assure I didn’t double stack, maybe it’s just a bad rebuild kit? Maybe I missed something when re installing? What’s a normal place for the cable to sit in terms of the adjustment screws? Maybe it’s because the choke cable is seized? Maybe somethings too tight? What should I look at? Any info would be highly appreciated thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,356 Posts
Installing a rebuild kit is not rebuilding a carb - a rebuild kit is a collection of commonly needed parts for rebuilding - the rebuilding part is the dismantling and cleaning of individual parts within the unit. It does not have a choke, it has a bypass starter valve that opens an air passage bypassing the throttle and supplying a fuel rich mixture to aid in cold starting. If the fuel or air passage is not cleaned thoroughly, it will not work as designed and starting will be difficult. If it does not idle and adjusting the fuel screw does not affect it, then the idle circuit is not cleaned properly and is probably obstructed with gum or dirt. The throttle cable should have about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of free play without pulling on the throttle operator. Not a bad rebuild kit - poor carb cleaning procedure is more likely the problem - if you used spray cleaner, you just wasted your money, sprays remove surface dirt and don't really do any deep cleaning and many times loosen dirt and carry it into a passage blocking it completely where as it may have only been partially blocked before the attempted cleaning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts