Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I looked thru the forum for a post on tightening the drive chain, perhaps I overlooked it? Just got our two 400's on Sunday, an 06 and 08. I plan to buy a service manual (if anyone knows where I can get one either free or cheap?) but until then if someone can point me in the right direction, I would like to snug it up a bit.
Thanks in advance,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
I have a PDF file of a factory manual that covers 05-14 models

PM me your email address and I'll see if I can email it to you

In the mean time - if you use a tie down or ratchet strap to collapse the rear suspension so the counter shaft on the engine, the swing arm pivot and the rear axle are in a straight line - you adjust the chain for about 5/8 to 3/4 inch of slack half way between the front and rear sprockets - note that the sprockets do not wear round and the chain does not wear evenly, so adjust for the tightest point when the rear axle is turned. Once you have the chain properly adjusted, you can relax the suspension and bounce it up and down a couple of times till it settles to a "normal" position. At this point you can check the chain and measure how much slack it has in reference to the swing arm. The next time you adjust it, you can just measure the slack without collapsing the suspension and be satisfactorily close. The chain is loosest at the top and bottom of the swing arm arc, that's why there are rollers on the frame - the rollers limit the slack to help keep the chain on the sprockets at the loosest points of the suspension travel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply. I hadn't thought about collapsing the suspension- it sounds as if you must first establish a baseline and then make minor adjustments from then on. Do I understand you correctly?
I will PM you my email address and APPRECIATE very much, your sending me the manual in pdf format. Our 400's are 06, and 08 so they fit the manuals you have!
Best regards,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,474 Posts
The chain is tightest mid-way through the suspension travel. The manual will describe the factory recommended procedure for adjusting the chain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts