Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently bought a 95 300ex with a missing key so the key switch was unplugged and bypassed( simple). Road one time for half an hour, parked and stored in my garage for 4 days. Went to start it after those 4 days and it acted like a fuse blew when I hit the start button, lost neutral light and all other electric for the entire bike. Fuse is good, battery is good. It has 13volts to the switch but when the switch is on the voltage drops to 5 volts, when the switch is turned back off the voltage returns to 12-13volt. The power comes back every so often to illuminate the neutral indicator light but as soon as I hit the start button the voltage drops out again. Loose connection somewhere? I bought a new key ignition switch and plugged it back in correctly to make troubleshooting easier. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the battery checked twice, I jumped it off of my fourtrax and it ran but only when the negative was grounded to the bike not the battery. When its grouded at the battery I still have the same lose of power. I followed the cable from the battery and it is sufficient to ground. What the heck?

·
Super Moderator
4,250 Posts
You have a bad ground connection - remove the ground wire from the frame, clean the wire terminal (wire brush) clean the frame (wire brush or sand paper), apply some dielectric grease to the wire terminal and frame and reattach - if that does not fix it, use a jumper cable to go from the battery neg to a motor mount bolt or other bolt on the engine and see if that fixes the problem until it is disconnected. You might have a faulty ground wire on the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts