Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to clean the engine on your TRX's. I have a 450R and want to give the outside of the engine a good cleaning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i was kinda wondering the same thing. but my frame is powdercoated and i dont wanna damage the coating. any thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If there are tough grease or oil spots i use PB blaster and then i go to the power wash station and power wash it with hot water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use my pressure washer to rinse the bike and get off any mud caked on. Once that is done I spray simple green from top to bottom and front to back while its still wet. I let it soak for a few minutes then use a wet wash mitt to scrub then pressure washer to rinse it again!!! Once all that is done I wipe her down, check her over and put her to sleep in the garage till next time!!!

I have never had any issues spraying simple green directly on the quad or my street bike. I do make sure I lube up the chain once I am done cleaning them though. Also if your still worried you can dilute the simple green with water to make a 50/50 mix!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
No pressure above 50psi - car washes and portable pressure washers can have high enough pressure to cut the gaskets out from between the engine cases. They will force water past seals and carry dirt right in. Pressure washers are the reason shocks and bearings go bad and axles and pivot bolts rust so badly they can't be removed without excessive force.

I spray mine down with MUD OFF and wash off with a garden hose. Mine is an 04 that I bought new in the crate in Feb. of 05. Each fall I disassemble all the suspension, wash out all the old grease, regrease everything with Silkolene PRO-RG2 grease and reassemble. I have not had a bad bearing or seal in all that time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use Eagle One Mag Cleaner you can get at Autozone or any auto store but Wal-Mart does not sell it. It is an acid based cleaner and you spray on and spray off with amazing results. I purchased my 400EX in 04 brand new and never cleaned the engine good until a couple of weeks ago and someone told me to use this and i sprayed it on and sprayed it off in 30 seconds and it looked brand new except for the scratches. DO NOT leave it on for longer than 30 sec or it will start to leave streaks on things but if you use it correctly and read the directions you will never use anything else!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts