Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my used 01 400EX, some of the mounts on the plastics were broken so I need to buy new plastics. My question is, does anyone know what would be involved in mounting newer style plastics on 99-04 400EXs? I've heard some say that up until 08, the plastics will match right up and I've heard some say you have to change supports/brackets. I'd like to have a little solid knowledge before I go spend $400 on new plastics that might not even work for my bike. I know I'll have to change the headlight and to be honest, that's kinda the reason I want to change plastics in the first place. I've never been a huge fan of the 99-04 headlights. I'd rather go with 08 and up plastics and headlight but I'd probably be like $600 deep in that swap and I can't bring myself to spend that on something I'm gonna scratch all up on trails.

·
Registered
33 Posts
the rear plastics/seat assembly should work fine if you go with 2005-2007 plastics but you might have to rig up your own mounting for the headlight and front plastics

Reactions: My01EX

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on, that's one thing I was wondering too. Thanks for confirming about the rear seat/plastics Honda4lyfe. I think what I really need to do is see an 05-07 and see just how the front plastics mount up. If the frames are the same, I can make brackets to fit the newer style plastics/headlight assembly if I can see how they mount to the frame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i would just search and compare the frames online

Reactions: My01EX

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got on Google Images and downloaded a picture of a 2000 400ex and one of a 2007 400ex and they look identical. I guess all it comes down to then is the specific plastics mounting brackets. Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought of just finding pictures online. The answer had been right in front of me the whole time haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts