Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda fourtrax 250, 1985 model. When I was riding the other day I noticed that there was a fluid leaking from around where the rear driver's side wheel and axle meet. During this I also noticed that the throttle and brakes only seemed to be working on the rear passenger side?

Got any ideas as to what I broken?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
I guess I am persnickety, but there is no "passenger side" on a TRX - only a right and left side

You need to replace the axle bearings and seal behind the LH wheel

There is only one brake on the rear and it is foot operated - the hand brake on the LH side of the handlebar is the parking brake - it is not intended to be used for stopping the vehicle

I presume you mean the hand brake on the RH side of the handlebar (where the throttle is located) does not work - there are many causes; master cylinder needs cleaned, rebuilt or have fluid added and the system bled - front brakes just need to be adjusted - front brake cylinders need cleaned, rebuild or both

I do not understand the statement about the throttle at all "the throttle and brakes only seemed to be working on the rear passenger side" - there is only one throttle and it does not control anything on the rear - if the engine accelerates when you operate the throttle, it is working

Call me an ass hole, but I know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh.

Ok, so when I press the throttle the throttle, only the rear right side tire spins. When I press the brakes (yes, rear brakes.......with a foot pedal) they don't have dynamic pressure. By this I mean that when you press the pedal or pull brake on left handle down they don't work at all until you press to a certain point at which they just completely lock up. But again, the brakes seem to only be stopping the right tire. So as I said, the throttle and brakes are only working for the rear right tire.

And btw, really?!?! "Theres no driver side on a four wheeler"..........I swear to god........

·
Super Moderator
4,647 Posts
You have a bad wheel hub or axle on the left side - the rear axle is a "live axle" (not a differential like a car with two separate axles) - the ring gear turns the axle and drives both sides at the same time. Also, the brake is stopping the axle, but the left wheel turns because it is no longer splined to the axle. As to the operation of the brake, it needs to be adjusted or repaired.

OK - if the 4 wheeler is a two or more occupant (side by side) then it has a driver's side, but those 4 wheeler's that carry a passenger in the rear (Polaris made one) would make the driver's side the front of the vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.