Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a flywheel puller just wondering is there any specific way to remove a flywheel without damage anything?

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
Each mechanic uses a slightly different method - I thread the puller into the flywheel by hand to assure it is not binding on dirt and is not cross threaded - when the puller contacts the crankshaft, I back it off a couple turns then use an appropriate size socket on a 1/2" air impact gun and zip the puller into the flywheel - it usually 'pops' right off - it is stubborn, I get it good and tight with the impact, then whack the puller with a brass hammer - usually a couple whacks is all it takes

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
If you use an impact driver, compression will hold it - if you use hand tools, you need a flywheel holding tool or you have to fill the cylinder with something that will not compress - liquid or polyester rope - take the spark plug out, fill the cylinder with alcohol, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits or lamp oil and put the plug back in or use some 1/4" polyester rope (about 3 feet is plenty) - take the plug out, fish the rope into the hole and as you feed the rope into the hole, twist it so it more or less coils inside the cylinder, when only about 4 inches of rope has not been fed into the cyl. you are ready to remove the flywheel (tricky part - you need to have the piston at least half way down the cylinder after TDC of the compression stroke when the liquid or rope is put in the cyl - you are going to be turning the crankshaft clockwise (backwards) - if the cylinder is in this position, the valves will be closed as the piston travels upward trying to compress whatever is in the cyl - with the valves closed there is no chance of pushing the material out of an open valve or bending a valve)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts