Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up people
I'm a construction worker that just got an 05 TRX 500 not to long ago and have had a blast with it . this damn thing is a beast of a machine for only being 2wd
I've been told that 05 was the only year they made them 2wd . Well now the damn thing has jumped time I believe.reason being it had a little rattle from the chain being loose but if it ain't broke don't fix it right well now it's down
Did I mention that I was a carpenter well I can work on small engines and My truck or car but this thing is my toy and I have watched a cple of video and bought an online man but I'm just a dumb ass swamp neck that needs step by step instructions any body care to help

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
First thing to do is determine the damage - take the valve adjustment caps off (#6 in the pic) and turn the engine over by hand - this is to determine if the cam chain broke or just jumped time - if the valves open and close then the cam chain is not broke - turn the engine with the spark plug out and when the intake valve opens and then closes, bring the piston to TDC (use a soda straw or other flexible semi-rigid object to feel the piston moving to TDC) - with the piston at TDC, check the valve clearance - if one valve has an extraordinary amount of clearance, then the cam has jumped time and a valve is bent.

Font Motor vehicle Engineering Urban design Automotive exterior

Let me know what you determine and I'll guide you from this point onward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing to do is determine the damage - take the valve adjustment caps off (#6 in the pic) and turn the engine over by hand - this is to determine if the cam chain broke or just jumped time - if the valves open and close then the cam chain is not broke - turn the engine with the spark plug out and when the intake valve opens and then closes, bring the piston to TDC (use a soda straw or other flexible semi-rigid object to feel the piston moving to TDC) - with the piston at TDC, check the valve clearance - if one valve has an extraordinary amount of clearance, then the cam has jumped time and a valve is bent.

View attachment 4897

Let me know what you determine and I'll guide you from this point onward.
Thank you very much man for the instructions on where and how to go about diagnosing my dilemma
I never would have thought of any of that
I have been so busy with work that I have just now got a chance to think about my toy I will do as you suggested and get back with you later

1 - 3 of 3 Posts