Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

fried stator ?? 2006 trx450er

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Here 2 help 
#1 ·
Hello everyone . so I installed a second battery because I was having trouble starting my bike. Big difference in startup. with the 24v starting system... the bike would turn on quick and easy. But on my first ride after the installation I had an accident ( hit a bolder and landed in water ) nothing big just puddle of water about mid tire eighth. The bike did not run after the accident I changed the coil and sparkplug but still no start. I had to take it to a shop and stator is fried. Now my question is??? did this happen because of the 24 volt stating system? or because I landed in water and might of gotten wet ? I'm getting a new stator but I would like to know if I should remove the second batt and return to 12v starting system ?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry I don't understand. if I charger my batts i never charge on bike,,, I remove batts and put to charge. Now what I understand on a 24 volt stating system is that once the relay is activated it puts 24v on starter but as soon as I let go of the starter button every thing runs on 12v system. and second batt doesn't get charged with 12 v system on bike only the primary batt.
The other thing is ...... if the 2 batt system fried my stator why did it happen after the accident ? wouldn't it of fried as soon as I installed. I had it installed at least 1 week before the ride. I'm sure it had to do something with water but bike did not get submerged and I don't think batteries got wet ?
so you guys suggest I remove second batt ?

Attachments

#6 ·
Now that you have explained the starting system, I see that only the starter motor gets 24v. So in this case, no the second battery is not the cause of the stator failure. Now, batteries are unaffected by water (they function normally even under water that is not salt water. Not having the vehicle to inspect and assess, I can only assess that the stator failed from age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.