Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

About a year ago I let my aunt take my 1998 TRX300fw for a spin around the farm. And yep....she rolled it. No major damage that I could tell at that time other than some leaves somehow got wedged between the rim and the tire resulting in a very slow leak. Last week I replaced the starter solenoid and noticed something looked a little asymmetrical with the front 2 axles. I've included a close-up picture of both the left and right axles, as well as a pic showing both at the same time. To me it looks like the axle/CV joint on the left (staring straight at it from the front) doesn't appear to connect to the wheel and the differential in a straight line like the right side axle does. It seems to be slightly above center where it connects are the wheel, and slightly below center where it connects to the differential And yes, this is the same side where leaves got stuck between the rim and the tire.

Now that you know my concern, here's my question: Does this indicate that the axle is broken/needs to be replaced? I haven't noticed a popping sound when riding/turning, but I also haven't paid much attention as I haven't ridden it since I noticed the problem. I know I could always replace it to be sure, but I'd rather not spend the time and money if it's unnecessary.

If I put another few miles on it in the current condition could it cause additional damage to other parts, or will I be ok for another half-day of riding?

Any advice, tips, suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated as I'm supposed to take it to a buddy's house in two days for some joy riding.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing I forgot to mention. It also looks like the left wheel is slightly out of line, as it appears to be pointing slightly to the left even when the handlebars are centered. Not sure if this is a related issue, or another issue all together.

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
I wouldn't venture more than a wild guess but check the frame carefully for a twist where the front gearcase is located

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't venture more than a wild guess but check the frame carefully for a twist where the front gearcase is located
Just did a pretty thorough inspection trying to prove you right, but no twists or bends in sight.

Good thought though. Armed with that knowledge are you steered you to a different conclusion?

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
I would have to have hands on to make any determination - I just threw that out there because when a vehicle is crashed all manner of unexpected damage may occur. It my just be an optical delusion (sic) that there is something wrong - if it runs out and doesn't seem to affect function or handling, I would just ignore it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts