Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this idea to put grease fittings on my swing arm to eliminate having to take out the bolt every couple rides to regrease the needle bearings. I was curious if Anyone else has done this and could offer some advice or pictures on how they did it.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
You can't install a grease fitting on the swing arm as the bearings are steel sleeved needle bearings. Also, there is no need to re-grease the bearings more than once a year. Each winter, I disassemble the entire suspension on my machine. I replace anything that shows wear, wash the old grease out of the bearings, re-grease with waterproof grease, install new seals and reassemble. My 04 has zero play in the suspension and operates just like new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can't install a grease fitting on the swing arm as the bearings are steel sleeved needle bearings. Also, there is no need to re-grease the bearings more than once a year. Each winter, I disassemble the entire suspension on my machine. I replace anything that shows wear, wash the old grease out of the bearings, re-grease with waterproof grease, install new seals and reassemble. My 04 has zero play in the suspension and operates just like new.
yes yeah can . figured it out years ago

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes yeah can . figured it out years ago
Do you have any pictures or any way of showing how you managed to do this but I wanna see someone elses work before I drill a hole into my 500 dollar swing arm

·
Registered
12 Posts
first of all its a 1/4 inch hole , no big deal.
you will need to drill and tap ,and it need to be were you can get at it to add grease . most likely on the top side. calculate from each side of the swingarm were the center of each bearing is . that is were you want to drill through to the bearing.
getting a small hole through the bearing is really the challenge . you cant drill it , its way to hard , so you have to grind a very smallish hole it to it. I suggest you also grind a track for the grease to fallow just incase you don't get the bearing perfectly inline with the hole that's drilled in the swing arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.