Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a question about my 99 400ex. It's very difficult to get it into neutral. I've only ridden it 4 times in the last month that I've owned so I'm pretty new to quads. Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
It's a common issue for any vehicle with a wet clutch.

Contributing factors: oil (viscosity, age, type), clutch cable (condition & adjustment), clutch parts (worn, broken, warped and/or modified) and engine idle speed.

It's usually not an issue if you shift into neutral before coming to a dead stop or if you shut off the engine.

If you simply have to shift into neutral with the engine running and the vehicle not moving, install a new stock clutch (all the parts: clutch basket, hub, fiber plates, metal plates and springs). Then use nothing but 10W40 or 10W30 JASO rated mineral oil or use (your choice of viscosity) JASO rated synthetic oil.

I ran Silkolene 15W50 synthetic in my 97 250 for 7 years. Changed it every 3 months. Sold it in 2004. The guy I sold it to continued the regimen. To this date, the engine has never had a cover removed for anything other than normal maintenance.

But, synthetic oils are slicker than mineral oils and will get past the rings easier. The engine will consume a small amount of oil. The oil level needs to be checked regularly. I now have a CRF250 - it only holds 750cc of oil in the engine (separate oil for the clutch and transmission) - it has a 2 ring piston and will consume 200cc of oil (Silko 15W50) in a 2 hour ride. I use Honda 2 stroke transmission oil in the tranny. The motor is rebuilt every 30 to 40 hours (Honda's recommended maint. interval), but the clutch cover has never been removed. I change the engine and transmission oil every third race. I only use the clutch for starting, stopping and controlled feeding of power to the rear wheel. The clutch is not used for shifting and I seldom shift to neutral with the engine running at a dead stop. I usually shift while rolling or after I kill the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the problem that its hard to find neutral or is the shifter hard to shift? If you are new to riding it can be difficult to find neutral on that half click. If the shifter wont move to neutral ,try rocking the bike front to back while actuating the shifter. I am in no way disagreeing with Here to help. Just another possibility. I personally run Rotella T 15w40 diesel oil and beat the piss out of my bike and have had no issues. It ends up costing about $10.00 to change the oil including filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts