Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See you got a 250x nice bikes I always wanted to put a 350x motor in one they are pretty fun wheelie machines which the 250x was anyways

·
Registered
40 Posts
See you got a 250x nice bikes I always wanted to put a 350x motor in one they are pretty fun wheelie machines which the 250x was anyways
Yeah I'm not sure how long or if I'll keep this. I'm going to fix it up and see if I love it. If I do, I'll keep it, if not, I'll sell it and get something else. I love those 250R's!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha yeah 250R's are by far my favorite quad I've had three of them and several of the atc's mine is a mostly original 86 with all oem plastic the toolbox and still has the original headlight and taillight and gold wheels I always liked them with the original look me and a friend use to race them 7-8 yrs ago and just decided to get back into them

·
Registered
40 Posts
Again Great job Steve! Did it take long to strip down the frame? I am wanting to get mine re-powder coated and I'll even need to remove the swingarm. I haven't ever taken one down that far. And I'm a little bit nervous about doing it because I'm so cramped for space. I'm prone to lose stuff haha!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dang that's cool to see all the pics from where it was when I got it to where it is now it doesn't look a lot different other than now the frame is red like it's suppose to and the tank isn't all oxidized and faded that took a long time to make it look good but I got a few tips on cleaning up old plastic if anybody has some they wanna shine up thanks again Rick for posting my pics I really appreciate it man

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With air tools it took about 30 minutes or so to strip it to that point having a chain hoist or a come a long in the rafters of the shop helps a lot. The reason the swingarm got left on was the bolt was froze up the bearings were good but I'd have to cut the bolt out or blow it out with a torch which is something I had no access to at the time. For everything to redo the swingarm was gonna cost over $100 or so which I didn't really wanna spend right before Christmas but this spring I'm gonna take it off and the a arms and try to match up the original color gold and spray them somebody has repainted them previously with a darker gold. In your case being tight on space it's best to put bolts in ziploc bags and label it if one bolt is longer you can use masking tape to mark them or make your own reference with a notepad pictures always help too I've had a few 250r quads and trikes so taking it apart and putting it back is no big deal. I'll give you another hint on your 10mm and 8mm bolts it's ok to remove with air but I don't recommend putting them back with air those break off pretty easily hope that may help you

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was gonna have mine powdercoated but its expensive. I've got quite a few parts and I found another frame that hasn't been welded on with a few more parts for a fair price with that plus what I got I almost got enough parts to build another one which I may do somewhere down the road but I won't build this one back to stock like mine. It's cheaper just about to build a race bike than a stock 250r the oem parts are very pricey and alot of it is now discontinued. Which makes it a little discouraging

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm about to start powder coating myself. I have lots of the equipment in the works. My biggest hurdle will be custom building an oven large enough for frames. And yeah it's going to compound my space problem LOL! I want to put the oven on wheels/casters so that could help. But We have a 2 car garage and a 2 car carport...so I'm hoping I can make something work. Great idea on the baggies and I might even buy some of those plastic bins with lids to put the bigger parts. Thanks for the info on the bolts too. Definitely don't need to snap any off.

Oh and on polishing plastic, I've heard Novus plastic polish works well. I've yet to try it but I have the 3 stage sample kit I'm going to try. I work for an electric utility and ended up with the sample because electric meters are now coming with plastic covers. And the plastic is weathering and getting cloudy where you can't read them anymore. So we ended up with this product and I took some samples home. I'll let you know how it works.

Amazon.com: Novus 1, 2, 3 Kit Plastic Polish and Scratch Remover: Electronics

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well on my tank I wetsanded with 400 then 600 then 1000 grit then took some never dull wheel polish and hand buffed then took a mothers foam ball from a headlight restoration kit with the polish that comes with and finished it off and it looks new again but if you are gonna use anything other than a basic scratch remover I recommend trying a spot not visible or maybe just a small spot first we tried on the hoods and they didn't turn out as good as the two gas tanks we did

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The powdercoat shop down the road from me charges $175 for a frame $80 bucks for all a arms and 40 for swingarm it cost more if they have to order another special color or if they sandblast it but they may sandblast it for that price not sure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well on my tank I wetsanded with 400 then 600 then 1000 grit then took some never dull wheel polish and hand buffed then took a mothers foam ball from a headlight restoration kit with the polish that comes with and finished it off and it looks new again but if you are gonna use anything other than a basic scratch remover I recommend trying a spot not visible or maybe just a small spot first we tried on the hoods and they didn't turn out as good as the two gas tanks we did
Good info! I think that Novus is probably comparable to the headlight restoration kit. The meter cover plastic looks similar to headlights.

The powdercoat shop down the road from me charges $175 for a frame $80 bucks for all a arms and 40 for swingarm it cost more if they have to order another special color or if they sandblast it but they may sandblast it for that price not sure
Gotcha! I'm going to start out with just our own stuff and close friends to see if I enjoy powder coating or not. I think I will though. But I like seeing what it goes for!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts