Honda TRX ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, but my son Goose has been a member for a few weeks I think. He has an '06 250 EX and I just got a 1991 250X. It's a bit of a beater, but I'm going to fix it up. May even get the frame re-powder coated since some dumas spray painted it at some point.

This quad was used on a farm and had a front rack welded on it, a make-do HUGE brake pedal, and look at those balloon tires LOL!

I got the rack off and the correct brake pedal on it now and also grinded down some welding slag that was on the frame on each side. Not sure what used to be welded there. It's going to be an interesting project. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We got all the bikes extra clean Saturday, but no time to ride due to a family member's wedding that we all had to attend. BTW, I have some 19" tires with wheels ordered for the back to replace these 25" balloons. Also already have a sprocket to change for the smaller tires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Y'all should load up and head to Missouri to ride at ST Joe state park at park hills Missouri it has killer trails,mud, and sand and lots of it heck it was even in the top 10 places to ride in the USA in dirt wheels magazine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Y'all should load up and head to Missouri to ride at ST Joe state park at park hills Missouri it has killer trails,mud, and sand and lots of it heck it was even in the top 10 places to ride in the USA in dirt wheels magazine
That sounds fun! We have a few ATV parks around here, but don't know if they are ranked that high. One here has a national event. Mud Nationals sponsored by High Lifter

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah we have the "trucks gone wild" event at bricks off road park down here it was on colt fords show mudslingers on the outdoor channel and we have another place called leerjack off road park and outlaw off road park

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that I have the rear tires on that I like....it makes the fronts look too large. But it will do for now. I love the gearing just as it is. It pulls hard in at least the first 3 gears. Pulled the front tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd and still felt like the top end was there. I'll know better when I get on long stretches.

This was it before:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it looks good what size are the rear tires now? And what size are fronts? I usually run 20 inch tall in back and 21's in front on my sport bikes and since 250x's and 300ex's came stock with 22's in back I would go up one tooth on front sprocket

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! The fronts are 23's...but look even bigger with the 19's on the back. And I have another sprocket already, but I honestly like how this feels. I'd rather have "out of the hole" power than top end....but I've still yet to test the speed in the upper gears.

I'm seriously thinking about going ahead and taking this thing all the way down to the frame. I want it to look new. And someone really jacked up the frame on it. I have enough other toys that I can afford to have this one down a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah somebody had painted my frame blue and the motor mounts were messed up and poorly repaired with a crappy weld job so I tore into mine took the motor apart found a few surprises but nothing I couldn't fix so motor is all good and back together with new gaskets and frame was fixed right I stripped the paint primed and repainted it red all the bearings were tight so ive pretty well got it all back together just gotta get some front motor mount plates or have some made and then I'm ready to put the motor back in cdi box should be here tomorrow got some more gold wheels for it just gotta get some new rear tires I found some 19x11x9 vee rubber tires I like that are similar to razr's or holeshots may go with those I got a set of good used shredder 21x7x10's on gold wheels to put on it since my front and rear holeshots are toast

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey rick, what part of texas y'all from? I live in huntsville and we have general sams offroadprk right down the street. In febuary is muddy gras pretty big event. Tons of fun!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Goose and I are in Jacksonville. We aren't too far from you. We have friends in Hunstville.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My son usually goes to those events (Goose aka Adam), but I haven't been yet. Not sure if it's my cup of tea or not. LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this is a Honda forum, but I couldn't afford a Honda back in the day when I had this Tecate. Just thought I'd share. I hopped this thing up, lowered it in the back, widened the front and it would flat scoot!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts