Honda TRX ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Please bear with me, I'm trying to get back in to off roading. I'm usually in my Jeep, but looking for a quad now. Used to ride dirt bikes.

I'm a bit older, so I'd really like an electric start, 4 stroke, and with reverse.
A mechanic friend told me to stay away from all the years of the raptor 660's because he doesn't like the tranny in any of them.

So... I've been looking around and seem to lean towards the TRX 400 ex and the Kawasaki KFX 450r. Both have elec and reverse.

For price, it looks like an 05 TRX is in my range and I also found an 08 KFX around the same price. The KFX has efi instead of carbs which sound nice.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I'm 5'9" and 210. Not looking for top speed drag races, mostly trails with a lot of hill climbs so would like a strong 1st, 2nd, and possibly 3rd gear.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
3,769 Posts
I would go with the 400EX - simpler design - easier to work on - plethora of OEM and aftermarket parts available - and made in the US

·
Registered
24 Posts
400ex. No doubt. They are 100x more reliable overall. I've had both and the Kfx is a race quad with a high compression motor. You will have to do motor work in the future. The 400ex in my opinion is the best most reliable quad out there. It's easier to get parts and if you maintain it right you will never have any problems with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im going to say 400ex for trails, its slim and really easy mange to tight woods, and has enough power in low gears (2nd and 3rd) to climb hills. Overall more reliable and better quad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts